Hi,

I recently put together my own computer as shown below:

AMD phnom II x4 proccessor
ASUS M4A785TD-M Evo
4Gb Ripjaw DDR3 RAM
XFX geforce gts250 graphics card
Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter
Running on Windows 7 64 bit

The issue I have is with Windows and the wireless card.

When first put together everything function perfectly, I had reasonable wireless signal and was connected to the internet etc etc.

Turning the computer on the next day I found that windows no longer recognised the wireless card. Well, it did recognise it in devise manager, but had installed different drivers and so the card wasn't working. Having tried to re-install the correct drivers and failing I ended up doing a new install of windows, which seemed to fix the issue.

However, the next day the same thing happened again!

Now, I've tried downloading the latest drivers from the Linksys site, and they won't install (Windows usually says the most recent drivers are already installed or says the hardware has a code 31 and it can't install drivers).I've tried re-installing from disc, I've tried selecting other drivers inside Windows, but I either get that message or Windows freezes completely.

If i try taking the card out and putting it back in again Windows usually freezes on startup.

All I want is for my wireless card to work!! Any help is appreciated and I'm sorry if I've rambled on a bit!

Rob

G

I'm more than sure I'm installing the drivers correctly. What gets me is the fact that when the correct drivers are installed, it works. I can't seem to get windows to understand that its trying to overwrite drivers that are working, or why it trys to do it as i start windows up.

Well, you could check the windows update history. Control Panel>Windows Update>View History. Look for a driver update that would apply to the linksys adapter. Try to remove that driver through Add/remove programs or through the system program files. When updating windows again, look for that adapter driver trying to be loaded onto the system and uncheck it and remove from download list.

***What could be happening is your system is mistakenly loading an obscure device driver for some other hardware. The system does not recognize the Linksys adapter because some other hardware or driver is so similar and Windows loads some obscure driver in place of the Linksys driver. Open Device manager and see what driver is listed under adapters>Linksys.

With the system booted to desktop try 'removing' the device from device manager, reboot the machine and let windows find the driver. You could also try to roll back the driver to the Linksys adapter from Device manager.

Note: Another thing is to try is install the Linksys driver while in Safe Mode. There is a good possibility Windows is mistakenly loading a similar, but wrong driver for the linksys adapter when you restart the machine. Check Device manager and see what driver is installed for the Linksys adapter.

G

I tried installing the correct drivers in safe mode last night, but when the compute is rebooted, the wrong drivers are re-installed by windows on startup.

Last night however a driver got installed by windows and the device was recognised, but it couldn't detect any wireless networks. Now I know the router is set up correctly (it works with this network adapter when the correct drivers are installed) and I also have a laptop and xbox 360 next to me which detect my home wireless and about 6 others in the area.

I also looked through the updates, and two are installed from ralink from this wireless card, but I can't find any way to uninstall them, as they don't turn up in the list of updates when I click 'uninstall previous updates'. I've also checked the add/remove programs and there is nothing left installed which has anything to do with the adapter.

G

I had a VERY similar problem. I installed the card (along with the drivers and the Linksys Wireless Manager that came on the CD) and it worked fine for a DAY. I turned it off for the night, and then when I turned it back on it couldn't detect ANY networks, and whenever I went to click on "connect to a network" in network and sharing center, a message would immediately popup in the lower right hand corner of the screen, just above the system tray, telling me that "no connections are available". WTF? This just worked the other day! Adding a network in "manage wireless networks" wouldn't do a thing, and when i clicked on the wireless icon in the system tray (the "bars") no networks would show up. That icon would also have a red X on it. Curiously, the adapter showed that it was working just fine in device manager. Updating the drivers to the ones supplied on Linksys' website did nothing, and uninstalling the Linksys Wireless Manager did nothing either. I was total stuck.

Then I researched the make and model of the wireless chipset on this card, and from my research, it turned out to be the Ralink 2860. I went to Ralink's website, downloaded their drivers (which are more recent than Linksys', by the way) and I installed those (you'll want to download the driver AND the utility). I restarted my computer, and it STILL didn't work. The driver was definitely installed - Device Manager confirmed Ralink Technology Corp. instead of Linksys, 2/5/2010 instead of 7/something/2009, and 3.1.0.0 instead of 3.0.2.0 (I think that was what it used to be). The icon in the system tray was also there, and the card was definitely recognized - it just wasnt picking up any networks. Upon opening the utility, you can add networks, but that still didn't do anything. Opening up device manager and disabling/enabling the adapter didnt do anything either.

Then I opened MSCONFIG (Start, run, msconfig.exe), went to the Boot tab, checked the "Safe Boot" check box, and chose the "Network" button. It asked me to restart, so I did. It booted up in safe mode, and, just for kicks, I logged into a different user account than the one I had been trying to figure this all out in. IT WAS WORKING. I logged out and logged back into my other account. IT WAS WORKING. I opened MSCONFIG, went back to the boot tab, cleared the safe boot check box, and rebooted. I logged in. IT WAS STILL WORKING.

I have no CLUE why this fixed it, but try it out and see if it works for you. I hope this saved you a LOT of headaches in the future. I'm also going to try and post this on Linksys' website for the other unfortunate souls who suffer this same problem. Hope I helped!

G

I had a VERY similar problem. I installed the card (along with the drivers and the Linksys Wireless Manager that came on the CD) and it worked fine for a DAY. I turned it off for the night, and then when I turned it back on it couldn't detect ANY networks, and whenever I went to click on "connect to a network" in network and sharing center, a message would immediately popup in the lower right hand corner of the screen, just above the system tray, telling me that "no connections are available". WTF? This just worked the other day! Adding a network in "manage wireless networks" wouldn't do a thing, and when i clicked on the wireless icon in the system tray (the "bars") no networks would show up. That icon would also have a red X on it. Curiously, the adapter showed that it was working just fine in device manager. Updating the drivers to the ones supplied on Linksys' website did nothing, and uninstalling the Linksys Wireless Manager did nothing either. I was total stuck.

Then I researched the make and model of the wireless chipset on this card, and from my research, it turned out to be the Ralink 2860. I went to Ralink's website, downloaded their drivers (which are more recent than Linksys', by the way) and I installed those (you'll want to download the driver AND the utility). I restarted my computer, and it STILL didn't work. The driver was definitely installed - Device Manager confirmed Ralink Technology Corp. instead of Linksys, 2/5/2010 instead of 7/something/2009, and 3.1.0.0 instead of 3.0.2.0 (I think that was what it used to be). The icon in the system tray was also there, and the card was definitely recognized - it just wasnt picking up any networks. Upon opening the utility, you can add networks, but that still didn't do anything. Opening up device manager and disabling/enabling the adapter didnt do anything either.

Then I opened MSCONFIG (Start, run, msconfig.exe), went to the Boot tab, checked the "Safe Boot" check box, and chose the "Network" button. It asked me to restart, so I did. It booted up in safe mode, and, just for kicks, I logged into a different user account than the one I had been trying to figure this all out in. IT WAS WORKING. I logged out and logged back into my other account. IT WAS WORKING. I opened MSCONFIG, went back to the boot tab, cleared the safe boot check box, and rebooted. I logged in. IT WAS STILL WORKING.

I have no CLUE why this fixed it, but try it out and see if it works for you. I hope this saved you a LOT of headaches in the future. I'm also going to try and post this on Linksys' website for the other unfortunate souls who suffer this same problem. Hope I helped!

Had a similar problem, bought new card, installed drivers, device manager saying card was working properly but was getting "no network connections available". So tried card on different pc worked fine. Contacted Lynksys they said if it worked on another pc running windows 7 must be a hardware problem, so was about to bring my pc back when i came accross this thread. Tried the safe mode network reboot and it sorted it out aswell. running windows 7 32 bit Thanks for that. Saved a lot of hassle.

Janee

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
After hundreds of freezes, we found your post. We downloaded the updated drivers. It will work in safemode, but still freezes in regular mode. Any suggestions?

cchrome

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
You should simple remove standart Microsoft driver for WMP600 and all drivers for WMP600 from Windows 7 Driver Cache, remove adapter from Device Manager, restart computer, and follow up Windows new hardware instructions and install Linksys driver 3.0.2.0 manually. (you must be sure that Windows 7 doesn't have drivers for automatic installation) Your speed should be 300Mbps and it'll work stable.

Jt3n

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Alright, I've had this adapter about a month and have run into serious issues after a windows update of the drivers for WMP600N. I want to get this card working again asap, I've had tons of different failed solutions and a lot of false hope. I'm thinking that I'm getting issues from the drivers windows auto-installs for this card.

"You should simple remove standart Microsoft driver for WMP600 and all drivers for WMP600 from Windows 7 Driver Cache" This is a difficult step for me, I located where all the device drivers are kept, but I can not identify which ones to eliminate. I already have 3.0.2.0 downloaded and ready to install manually I just have to get rid of the old drivers.

This is a PAIN! I'm fed up with this card after a week of trial and error of trying to get even even a little performance back from this card.

So, a little help on how to identify those drivers for me? I'd love to get this resolved asap! (I do realize this thread it pretty dead, but it is the best lead I have to getting a fix. After this, I'm left with calling linksys... I really would rather not do that.

Things I've tried:
Re-installing the newest drives manually: fail
Re-install with included drivers in package and blocking the windows update driver: partial success, very bad internet connection.
Install with RAlink drivers from their website: FAIL, Code 31 followed by BSOD when I try to resolve.

All of this is done with internet security and virus protection software disabled.

Thanks so much for any replies.

cchrome

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
!. Remove adapter from Device Manager.
2. For Windows 7 go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and remove all folders with started string "netr28" in folder name.(Change owner for folder: Right click on folder => Choose 'Properties' => 'Security' => 'Advanced' => 'Owner' => 'Edit' => Choose your name => Mark 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' and Click 'Ok', 'Ok', 'Ok', 'Ok' => Open ‘Security’ again and Highlight ‘Everyone” => ‘Edit’ and mark ‘Full control’ => ‘Ok’, ‘Ok’ and delete folder.)
3. Restart your computer.
4. Follow up Windows new hardware utility instructions and show path where located your Linksys driver 3.0.2.0

Note: Don't use driver from Ralink site its speed only 56Mbps.

Be happy :bounce:

zteve

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hello,

I have the same problem as Jt3n

I cannot remove the netr28 folders as they are locked to SYSTEM. I have tried changing the permissions to no avail as it says the exact same thing "you don't have access" I have tried manually installing the Linksys driver 3.0.2.0. It says it has installed but no networks are detected.

I have also head and tried the Atheros 7.6.1.204 as someone on the amazon site said that their card was working on this driver. I used and it was working for a while. It has now stopped working completely.

Previous to that I used the Ralink one. These proved to be unstable and annoying causing the system to freeze.

I am at my wits end with this stupid card.

zteve

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I forgot to say I am on windows 7 64bit.

I used pnputil.exe to remove any driver packages pertaining to linksys and cisco and it still seems to find a rouge driver somewhere!

zteve

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Yes I tried removing the card using the device manager.

I managed to get those netr28 folders deleted by assigning them to myself and then deleting them.

I used this guide
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-system-file-in-windows-vista/

I then downloaded the 3.0.2.0 linksys drivers and used them to install on the card. The device is working however there are no networks detected.

What will physically removing the card do? Will that reset the driver process?

lol its a task and a half!

zteve

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
it worked with ralink driver but was unstable. then i tried the aethros one and it worked perfectly for a while.

Then the card rolled back drivers to the linksys ones and it appears now the card doesn't work on either of them

cchrome

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
You should perform my instructions step by step and be sure that driver can't install automatic after restarting system. After restart should start Windows new hardware installation utility and you manually show path where located your Linksys driver 3.0.2.0
If driver installed automatic after restart, then you unsuccessfully delete netr28 folders from FileRepository.
Could you please, subscribe you actions and results your steps.

zteve

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hello, I removed the netr28 folders and uninstalled the device on the device manager screen.

I then rebooted and the driver was unsuccessfully installed. I then pointed the unknown device at a folder on my desktop that contains the netgear linksys 3.0.2.0 driver.

Again there is no network detected and the wireless network icon is greyed out on the network control panel.

cchrome

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
I just reinstalled my adapter and show you full instruction.

!. Uninstall adapter from Device Manager (mark ‘Delete the driver software for this device’).
2. For Windows 7 go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and remove all folders with started string "netr28" in folder name.(Change owner for folder: Right click on folder => Choose 'Properties' => 'Security' => 'Advanced' => 'Owner' => 'Edit' => Choose your name => Mark 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' and Click 'Ok', 'Ok', 'Ok', 'Ok' => Open ‘Security’ again and Highlight ‘Everyone” => ‘Edit’ and mark ‘Full control’ => ‘Ok’, ‘Ok’ and delete folder )
3. Restart your computer.
4. New hardware installation start and end unsuccessful. Ignore it.
5. Go to Device Manager found ‘Network Controller’ under ‘Other devices’ => Right Click on it and Choose “Update Driver Software..‘ => ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ and show path where located your unzipped Linksys driver 3.0.2.0 => Click ‘Next’ => ‘Close’

Did you have any wireless utilities like as Ralink utility? Check in 'Programs and Features' and remove them.

zteve

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hello!

I finally managed to get it working! I had uninstall ALL antivirus application on top of your instructions that I had done over the course of the day.

I used http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-system-file-in-windows-vista/ instructions to delete the "netr28" drivers.

I then discovered a wireless utility programme that was hiding. I deleted all the ralink bumf apart from some registry writers services.

I had to end the railink services on the services screen to completely get rid of railink application that I swear I had uninstalled and deleted everything about it previously. I typed services.msc in the start find box.

I am running my router on 5ghz now because 2.4ghz is really terrible in a built up area!

That of course means I cannot connect to network using my iphone but alas the card works and is a lot faster than before it went down.

Thanks for your help and i'll try help out anyone else in the future

cchrome

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

Nice feature, but I like Windows graphical interface.

Have a nice weekend!