Windows 7 Anti-Piracy Update Now Live

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4ILY45

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
s not explicitly named anything to do with Windows Activation Technologies, as it's simply termed as an "Update for Windows 7."
Scroll over it.. a short essay will appear to clarify the update..

[citation][nom]Gigahertz20[/nom]Hide update, done, just don't install it. It will be included in Win 7 SP1 though in which you will have to install it, but no big deal.[/citation]
http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/lol.gif
Good one..

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I didn't think it was that big of a deal. Nothing to get excited about.[/citation]
America was built on piracy, those settlers were pirates....

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
It came up as an optional update on mine, it says important but was unchecked, it states: "This update to Windows Activation Technologies detects activation exploits and tampering to key Windows system files. These exploits try to bypass regular Windows activation and are sometimes included within counterfeit copies of Windows."

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Tomorrow Tom's will publish how the hackers already bypassed this update.May the circle of cracking and patching begin![/citation]
Everyone already bypassed it simply by clicking the uncheck box.

ant1-b0dy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Legit copy of Ultimate x64 Signature Edition here - Installed it anyway since I don't mind it phoning home every 90 days - Came with several other updates labeled the same so just read the details on the right, plus it came not checked for download/install.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Although it appears as an update for Windows 7, it comes unticked and when you click on it, it clearly describes its function. Hence i just right clicked on it and hide it. No install for me thank you!

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Even if it was an automatic update, geeks know to also check the "download but do not install" option to prevent Microsoft from sneaking this stuff in...like they did with XP WGA back in the day.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]drowned[/nom]Even if it was an automatic update, geeks know to also check the "download but do not install" option to prevent Microsoft from sneaking this stuff in...like they did with XP WGA back in the day.[/citation]
I get it to check but just notify. I don't want it to waste bandwidth downloading 1GB of updates to MS Office help files when I don't want to install them.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
atleast now i know what i`m suppose to look for when i use windows update. Keep up the good work Toms, your now officialy supporting piracy indirectly :))

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
All the little hacks on this site that think all this stuff is no big deal would be the first ones in line when the government says one day we are going to install this chip in your right hand or forehead so you can buy and sell.

salimbest83

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB971033)

Installation date: ‎2/‎24/‎2010 5:55 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

This update to Windows Activation Technologies detects activation exploits and tampering to key Windows system files. These exploits try to bypass regular Windows activation and are sometimes included within counterfeit copies of Windows.

emm...my rig stil work fine though..

redplanet_returns

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Microsoft previously pointed out that this update is completely voluntary and users can decline the update when it appears (though we can't imagine why legitimate users would worry).

legit user SHOULD worry if this blog is anything to go by:
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000681.html

MS will perpetually check for the software legitimacy, so even if your OS is legit, maybe a software glitch or for whatever reason, 3 years or however many years later you might somehow be identified as a pirate, and lose your legit status for good, and your Windows will basically return to the mode as if you have never activated Windows. It's not like MS never screwed up before (remember sidekick?)

Not to mention the potential privacy concerns.

I like Windows 7 and have Windows 7 professional at home, but no thanks MS, I will bypass this "patch"

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Tomorrow Tom's will publish how the hackers already bypassed this update.May the circle of cracking and patching begin![/citation]

No need, I just hide KB971033 and you are done with it.

BTW it comes already unchecked. MS has no interest in f*cking with their installed base, legit or not. Their business model is market domination, if you screw the pirates enough, youll lose market share.

They dont make money from the shelf version of Windows...

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Real geeks tell the updater to never check, and manually check for updates every now and then.[/citation]

No, I use the check for update but ask me whether to download/install the patches.

G

Ill pass on this update could have security holes and I don't need a possible
false positive as happened to a friends hp laptop also don't need anymore junk running on start up windows 7 came with my laptop so I am legit

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
I understand Microsoft wanting to make sure that users are using bought versions of Windows 7, but don't have something actively using system resources of a computer whose windows has already been determined to be legitimate. Most importantly: don't, under no circumstances, affect the regular operation of a legitimate copy of windows. If only Microsoft put more effort into stomping on bugs then stomping on pirates, we'd have windows installations that were as easy as clicking yes.

roagie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I thought this would come out in SP1... I guess they must be experiencing quite a bit of piracy on this. I wonder how much cheaper the OS would be if they didn't have to play authentic and crack all day long.......

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I don't have to worry about this because all of my Win7 systems are genuine. And to those applying the update saying that it does nothing, good luck with that. You're installing a WGA tool that can "phone home" later on and eventually disable your windows. I've seen it done on Windows XP before. Just get a legit copy it isn't that hard to do. This isn't rocket science, guys.

G

What's the point? Pirates aren't going to install it, and legitimate users aren't going to need it. Sounds like a waste of bandwidth and system resources to me.

Only those that are selling systems with cracked windows are going to get in trouble over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.