Windows 7 Beta No Longer Available for DL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

igimax

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]joex444[/nom]@igimax: .... the reason it doesn't translate in photoshop is 1GB of RAM is insufficient. with a more reasonable 4, 6 or 8GB setup you would notice photoshop starts up much quicker on windows 7 (vista architecture) than on xp the second time.
obviously with faster cpu, the differences in speeds would be much less apparent. 10 seconds difference in bootup time is noticeable, but consider it on a quad core 3ghz core 2, that gap should translate to around 2 seconds or less
......[/citation]
Hi m8
I agree about my 1GB memory which is not enough for some huge applications like Photoshop and ... at W7. Also I forgot to mention why SS of Photoshop is like that! (tnx 4 mention it :D )

For instance, My friend system test results with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ processor and 4GB of memory:

Adobe Photoshop cs2 @ Vista 32bit : .....FS 3.40
Adobe Photoshop cs2 @ W7beta 32bit : .....FS 2.9

Compressing a 108MB text file (using WinRAR v3.80)
Windows XP SP3: ... 39.08
Windows 7: ........ 33.13

Anyway, It's seems Windows 7 have very good performance with great graphical environments and yes! It will be my next upgrade!

igimax

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Correction!

Compressing a 108MB text file (using WinRAR v3.80)
Windows Vista 32bit: ........ 39.08
Windows W7beta 32bi: ........ 33.13

Also one thing more:
We test Nvidia Driver which Microsoft provide it through its update center for playing some games. But It crashed too many time then We used latest Vista version of NVidia drivers on W7 and it's work perfectly!

G

I needed to reinstall my OS on our family computer. We had XP, and while it lasted a while (with 6 users accounts) it was time to reset or move on. The W7 Beta came out. I dled it just fine from MS, installed it, and the experience was great. I really disliked vista (it's the network configurations and wizards that put me off, among other things that are mostly just annoyances. It just makes me feel as if I don't have complete control of what's going on as I did in XP). W7 surprised me. It downloaded the drivers for my Geforce 7600 automatically (most up to date ones) and the other various drivers downloaded excellently. I love the new start menu, and the taskbar is so much more being able to customize it more specifically.
Sadly, I couldn't keep this for my family OS. I needed something that would last them when I went away. I had a copy of vista ultimate so I installed it. I do feel gypped. I downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia for my new 9800, and upon windows update I was informed that there was an newer driver for my 9800 then what I got straight from nvidia... :-\ Yeah right... but if it was my parents doing updates, they wouldn't know the difference. I wasn't able to test in W7, but in Vista, random programs (Windows features) kept asking for internet privileges (I use a firewall). I know there are more features in Vista than in XP, but all the while I've been working with Vista I'm like, "...so why do you need to access the internet random background program?" Guess it's time to go through the services and manually stop every frivolous feature.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
[citation][nom]and[/nom]Guess it's time to go through the services and manually stop every frivolous feature.[/citation]

You don't have to do that. You just need to change the User Account Control (UAC). I believe you change it from the User Accounts found in the Control Panel. Do so at your own risk though. It's a security feature, and security features are for your protection, not your convenience.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
for those who think Vista was popular...most hospitals in the country are either in the process of Upgrading to XP or are still on Windows 2000 Pro.

MS makes most of their money from business, and obviously (just like Playstation) they are trying to get what they had with XP and it simply wont happen. They did a great job on XP....so good that there is no point in upgrading. Developers are taking advantage of XP and .NET...NOT VISTA the only the VISTA has is Direct X 10, but a developer would be stupid to cut off 75% of the PC market by making a game vista only.

bmlevey

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
First time I tryed downloading, it was crawling at about 30 KB a second. It eventually didn't work. The next time I tried it, I was almost done and it Fatal Errored. Oh, and Linux is still better.

Jakt

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
If MS really wants wide acceptance of Win7, they need to please the enthusiasts. We geeks in IT are the guys who will hold the keys to widespread corporate adoption. If we hate it, then we'll sink it. That's what happened with Vista, and it could happen with Win7.

Microsoft needs to understand this: The enthusiasts like to tinker. We like to build our own personal computers, and this means installing our own OS. If MS is selling the OS to OEMs for $cheap, and then selling it to end users for $blood, then we will be pissed (again). Come on, Microsoft! Of course, we are not asking for this software to be given away to us, but Microsoft has to understand that the enthusiasts are the early adopters, and the ones who will influence whether the Win7 launch sinks or takes off!

Bottom line, Microsoft will need to reconsider its pricing model for individual systems builders. I would be willing to spend as much as a 20% premium over what the OEMs spend. Anything more than that is simply too much.

P.S. The Win7 beta looks promising. I like what I am seeing so far. Not sure *yet* if I will buy it. -Depends on the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.