Windows 7 Beta on Hold Until 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Sometimes I don't know my own strength. After several painful weeks of poking holes in the Windows 7 bubble (and being poked right back by the legions of Windows zealots), it seems my message about Microsoft not doing enough to satisfy IT is finally getting through: The company has now officially delayed the release of the first public Windows 7 beta until "early 2009" -- per the company's PR firm, Waggener Edstrom....
http://www.pcworld.com/article/154479/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws

G

How would one get into the beta? I'm interested in windows 7

The official BETA will not be released until...2009. You can download it from M$, or order a CD for shipping cost.

EDIT: There will surely be a following BETA 2 release that will fix a lot things M$ had no idea were occuring.

G

Lol download it :na: I wonder if it says like double click and then install that would be funny... I for one can't make a bootable CD as I don't have an writable drive so i'd have to pay for it... unless its small enough to put on a USB or something

Yeah, I have downloaded M$ BETA OS quite a few times. The files are big. Depending on the server trafffic, it can take a while. I had to burn the file to CD. Been a while and I forgot how that procedure with those BETA OS worked. I also ordered the Vista CD's from M$ and still have them. No support in effect, but I think they will load up.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"Wow, apparently you haven't learned anything yet. The idea that your "scathing review" alone made Microsoft supposedly change their beta release date just shows how arrogant you really are. I'm astounded that you can call this "journalism." This kind of opinionated reporting should be on a personal blog, not a major news publication. You should be fired, but I imagine you won't be because you keep the readers stirred up. I was half-heartedly considering renewing my PC World subscription, which I've had continously since Jan. 2000, but I think have just about lost all my respect for PC World and/or its parent company. Not only am I no longer a paying subscriber, but I'm just about ready to take myself off the subscription list for the daily news emails, because this is not even close to real news anymore."
Says it all.

That anti MS zealot appears to be out of his freaking mind, He's personally taking credit for a delayed beta and he offers no proof whatsoever that his little hit piece had a anything to do with it. What a deluded idiot.

G

lol... so all the people commenting on windows 7 pirated it? lol i swear i've seen some of them say pirating is bad :na:

EDIT: Badge i'm not sure you saw the fact that jaragon had quotes around his post... hes quoting a commenter on the article i believe

It was 'scathing review' that pushed me over the edge. I think Mr. Kennedy is jealous that He writes for PC World and even with his scheduled upcoming raise, Bill Gates remains filthy rich in his eyes. Obviously, he's trying to bring Gates down. Time out.

I'm the exception. I liked Vista from the beginning...BETA 1. I am beginning to bring in Vista machines for business use into our offices. I will try 7, but for my own personal use. I understand OP, Jake...?, is releuctant to install Vista 64. I was just trying to get him a copy to try if he has missed out entirely to this point. Maybe I'm way off, maybe I have a slipstreamed copy I can spare...8)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
You know what would be awesome for windows 7…. Allowing the end user during install to choose how much or little to install!

Right now when we install a program, say adobe reader for example, you get a little check mark beside “install google tool bar”. Wouldn’t it be fantastic if during the install of Windows 7 the basic requirements to run the OS is installed and like 72356472364 check boxes for what apps/tools you would like to bog down your machine with? This would finally put an end to all the “baggage” Vista has, and most importantly gives the end user the option of a slow OS or a fast one, less or more.
Just a though…

On a side note Randall C. Kennedy, InfoWorld the author of this junk http://www.pcworld.com/article/154479/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws is no question a tool for taking the credit as he did.

G

You can to an extent, at least in xp, you can uninstall programs that come pre-installed I for one uninstall almost everything that comes after the original install removes almost a gig :D

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
You can to an extent, at least in xp, you can uninstall programs that come pre-installed I for one uninstall almost everything that comes after the original install removes almost a gig :D

The point is, though, that it would be nice for a change to give the user control over whether the bloat is even installed at all.

...qualities which make it perfect for cross posting to Tom's...

Any trust I *might* have had in Mr Kennedy vanished when - in an effort to "Prove" that Windows 7's UI was garbage - he opened a bunch of Office 2007 Windows on his Server 2008 machine, then stacked them in such a way that the screen was covered in each window's ribbon interface. :pfff:

He is highly educated, and has been in the industry for ages. At one time he was a very highly respected journalist. But he's let his opinions take over his perspective and outlook. The Microsoft bashing in particular has gone far enough that apparently he doesn't see how much of a clown these kinds of articles make him out to be.

In the long run, Objective Educated Criticism is a Great Goodness for everybody. Would be nice for Mr Kennedy to return to that.

{edit} Friendly note to an earlier poster, Randall Kennedy's actual home is InfoWorld

Status
Not open for further replies.