Question Windows 7 boots extremely slow (20 mins)

OfficialG3

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
System spec
MB:Acer tbgm01 with achi enabled
CPU:I7 920
RAM:Generic 8gb ram stick @1600mhz (stable on my other X58 system)
GPU:GT730
PSU: Dazumba 450W (350w 12v rail) - stable on my other X58 system
HDD: WDC 160GB

Long story short, this hdd is from an older lga775 system, i want to test run the "new" x58 board using this and it takes 25mins for windows desktop to load and everything is very sluggish, the hdd itself is fine in HDsentinel & was set to ACHI on the older system

I tried loading a live usb for recovery and windows installer usb and it has the same symptoms, very sluggish and slow compared to my other pc (others load in seconds, this takes minutes)

Any idea for why this is happening? Because this shouldn't happen since the cables are fine, is there a settings in the bios i miss, some jumpers i forgot to set or the board going kaput?

Apr 16, 2019
tbh i had kind of the same issue with an m.2 nvme ssd some time ago but first it only took around 40 sec and it was on windows 10. Mine fixed itself and just making it boot was making it faster.I have no idea how to help you though so im sorry :p i just thought it'd be useful to someone else that is having the same problem as i did.By the way the ssd is a samsung 970 evo 250gb

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
So, am I to understand that you swapped motherboards, but all other components are the same AND you did NOT reinstall the OS?

I suspect that maybe Windows 7 is trying to wrestle with driver conflicts/incompatibilities, or other setup issues. Generally swapping a drive to another machine (and basically, swapping the motherboard makes it another machine) goes badly unless a clean install of the OS is performed.

OfficialG3

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
So, am I to understand that you swapped motherboards, but all other components are the same AND you did NOT reinstall the OS?

I suspect that maybe Windows 7 is trying to wrestle with driver conflicts/incompatibilities, or other setup issues. Generally swapping a drive to another machine (and basically, swapping the motherboard makes it another machine) goes badly unless a clean install of the OS is performed.
maybe..., i guess ill take the bullet and get another drive to try to fresh install windows