Windows 7 Build 7600 Leaked; RTM Suspected

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I've just started playing with RC1, too bad it's probably too late to give them feedback.

To me their new Explorer is hard to use.
1. The symbols and fonts don't show up as well as with XP, and the small symbols are harder to hit with the mouse or touchpad.
2. Adding favorites and libraries and so forth just makes it more complicated to me. I was fine with "my documents" under XP, with Vista it started getting more complicated, with W7 it is even more complicated. I would rather organize my files and folders my own way.

I've already paid my $50 and pre-ordered so I'll have it for better or for worse.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Adding favorites and libraries and so forth just makes it more complicated.[/citation]

you said it bro! I totally think there should be a better filing sysytem for personal files... especially if someone has several hard-drives or partitions waiting to be filled that are not the Local C drive.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Socrates047[/nom]you said it bro! I totally think there should be a better filing sysytem for personal files... especially if someone has several hard-drives or partitions waiting to be filled that are not the Local C drive.[/citation]

Then Windows 7 is for you! They gave you exactly what you wanted. You guys need to learn how to use Windows 7 (unless you were being sarcastic!) :D

"It's possible to create custom Libraries made up of arbitrary locations; the demos at PDC showed Libraries being used to group together all the files related to a given project or customer, for example. They're useful whenever an aggregated view of multiple locations is required.

The Libraries are also used throughout Windows 7. Prior to 7, Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center both had their own distinct library concept. In Windows 7, however, both of these programs use the Libraries visible in Explorer. This results in a far more consistent view of the media stored on the PC."

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2008/10/arspdc-windows-7-libraries-under-the-microscope.ars

It may be take one extra step but once you get your favorite folders added (many of mine are on the server - this works perfectly in Windows 7) the whole OS will have much more handy and consistent access to your favorite folders or files. I know it's different and it sucks having to change from what you're used to, but this is a much better way. All it takes is one click and drag to get whatever you want in its individual library and then it's right there no matter what application you're in.

If you don't think it's better, you probably don't know how to exploit it to its full potential. I had to learn how to run it, too, but now that I use it it's faster and more efficient than any previous way, and I've been using Windows and Apple's OS's for 10 years at work. This is a good way to do it, once you get used to it.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
You know..I get tired of people talking about fresh installs of Win 7 being snappy. Hell my fresh install of Vista was lightning fast. But just like all MS OS's I need to reload fresh. It's been about a year. That's about the same cycle XP had as well. Win 7 will slow down just like XP and Vista after all your favorite programs and games are installed. Hell a fresh Copy of XP is fast compared to a year old install of Vista that has loads of programs installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.