Windows 7 Build 7700 Spotted (Early Windows 8?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This is starting to get really stupid. It's almost like they are building an OS... selling it while it's in it's half-ass state, then fixing, calling it Windows 8 and selling it again. I mean, COME ON. You shouldn't have to keep BUYING it and BUYING it. There are plenty of companies out there that offer free upgrades after one purchase for a full version - 1.0-2.0. Then you pay to get a new license. I don't mean SERVICE packs either. Image Line does it, Renoise does it, Diskeeper Pro does it. They actually IMPROVE the software and release new versions. Microsoft just patches their crap. Ugh that urkes me. I WANT NEW AND IMPROVED STUFF MICROSOFT! MORE VARIETY!

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Did they miss the obvious fact that the screen says "Windows 7 Ultimate"? It would make more sense that this is a service pack. Win 7 has been out about 4 months I seriously doubt anything but a service pack is being worked on at this current time.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]I WANT NEW AND IMPROVED STUFF MICROSOFT! MORE VARIETY![/citation]

Windows 7 has plenty of 'New' features along with many 'Improved' features. Each one of the software companies you mentioned are known for one, and ONLY one piece of software. Microsoft is NOT! If it is variety you want... go stare at trees or count snow flakes.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]Did they miss the obvious fact that the screen says "Windows 7 Ultimate"? It would make more sense that this is a service pack. Win 7 has been out about 4 months I seriously doubt anything but a service pack is being worked on at this current time.[/citation]

Windows 8 IS being worked on already, it's supposedly slated for next summer (2011). However, this screenshot is in all likelihood just a service pack, not a full blown new OS. M$ tends to over exaggerate their names, so I doubt they would have a build called 7700 when it's really Windows 8.

G

Hey Apple has done this for years and they charge for it! No such thing as SP1 or SP2. With Apple you just buy another OS in two years or less.
I think a 4 year cycle for a operating system is good. That allows for a couple or so SP updates but does not allow the OS to get stale like XP has.

ttangx

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]This is starting to get really stupid. It's almost like they are building an OS... selling it while it's in it's half-ass state, then fixing, calling it Windows 8 and selling it again. I mean, COME ON. You shouldn't have to keep BUYING it and BUYING it. There are plenty of companies out there that offer free upgrades after one purchase for a full version - 1.0-2.0. Then you pay to get a new license. I don't mean SERVICE packs either. Image Line does it, Renoise does it, Diskeeper Pro does it. They actually IMPROVE the software and release new versions. Microsoft just patches their crap. Ugh that urkes me. I WANT NEW AND IMPROVED STUFF MICROSOFT! MORE VARIETY![/citation]

Actually, that's Apple's gig.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Yea I'm firmly in the, this is SP1, camp. I like windows 7, and I personally think it’s the best windows build to date... is there room for improvement? Yes and I hope to see a lot of them in SP1.
Not buying this is a windows 8 leak.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
MS just doesn't take a vacation on building their next operating system. I mean really, the builds are expected to continue to increase in number... Am I wrong in saying it seems obvious? IDK...

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]fiskfisk33[/nom]Well, couldn't this just as well show theyre working in a service pack?[/citation]

According to some sources that worship new builds of MS products before they are released and I quote:

The SP builds are in the winmain_sp branch and typically only increase the build # by one (for example, Windows 7 SP1: 7601).

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
fflam that sounds much more likely, I highly doubt with the reception that 7 has gotten that they are willing to toss it aside for another update. I honestly feel the next desktop OS won't be here until sometime late 2012-2014 range. Hopefully they innovate the actual desktop/start menu instead of another rehash. I know it's hard especially when everyone is used to the norm, but I would love to see some true out of the box thinking.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]HOLY MOTHER OF WHAT. Stop the presses. Microsoft continually works on Windows? Where I have been the last 20 years?[/citation]

Following PC hardware and software development I would assume, unlike the hacks that write for tom's these days.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Here goes the screenshots again..

SP1, more likely. Unless there's really some major changes/enhancements in there, it shouldn't be called "Windows 8".

Status
Not open for further replies.