Windows 7 Corrupted

FloppyTacoes

Reputable
Feb 14, 2014
I was reinstalling Skype on my computer running Windows 7 Ultimate, (32bit) and during the uninstall all my apps pinned to the taskbar disappeared. I then rebooted my computer, and it asks to go to Startup Repair, and is now stuck in a loop. Could it have been caused by Skype? Is there a way to fix it? I am willing to reinstall Windows 7, but I want to back up my profile, can this be done remotely?

Solution
If you install as an "upgrade" - it will save all of your data and save a copy of Windows to the Windows.Old folder.

Skype itself shouldn't have corrupted the installation...

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
+1^

Windows will create a restore point any time you uninstall or reinstall software for the simple reason that you can revert changes if there's an issue before or after installations of programs. As mentioned, Skype is a pretty benign (not like a service pack or other software level patch) program that shouldn't cause problems like you describe. I can't tell you what happened to Windows, but it is possible to salvage your user data, just mount your hard drive as a USB storage device, navigate to the Windows system folders. Under "users" find your user profile and copy all of the data (documents, downloads, pictures, videos, music, etc.) to a new folder. You will migrate that to your new user account when you reinstall Windows.

FloppyTacoes

Reputable
Feb 14, 2014

Well it didn't, and I have no restore points set so that didn't help. Thanks anyways, I will reinstall.

MILESCFA

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014

I'm having multiple issues and having run all the hardware tests, I want to reinstall Windows 7 "on top of itself", which I believe is what you're saying. I've read I just run the orig installation disk, choose "upgrade" and do NOT enter activation key and this will essentially "repair" issues via a reinstall. Is this correct?

fwiw: PC was buggy from day 1 and I spent 1+ yr trying to get a stable version, having replaced: 3 MBs, 2 CPUs, 2 DRR, AND 3 Win activations and 2 Office activations. Worked OK for 1 yr, but now buggy again. I just spent 1hr on phone with MSFT trying to get a special Hotfix that is only available through support and they spent the hour trying to sell me (upgrades, tech support and service plans) and in the end wouldn't give me the hotfix... every time I asked, their response was "this is how you fix it.... buy this..."! I can't decide who I hate worse, MSFT for their crappy s/w or IBM for having great OS and abandoning it due to MSFT's superior marketing.

UPDATE 11/12/14: Having a RAID1 system, I unplugged one drive and attempted a "reinstall on top of Win7" and it failed. It's possible I had Avast anti-virus running and this could have been my problem.

TRENDING THREADS