Windows 7 Crashing

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015
Hi all,

I am a bit baffled at my computer. I recently installed a new SSD and got windows 7 installed on it and everything was working fine. After having it for about a week I decided to try out Windows 10. After doing this it worked ok for about half an hour and then it froze. I had to then turn my pc off and on by holding the power button (very bad but the whole PC was unresponsive).

So following this it would happen a lot so I decided to go back to windows 7. After doing so everything seemed fine until the next day and it froze again. In Windows 7 it doesn't freeze as much as when it was Windows 10 but the operating system becomes unresponsive atleast once every two days. I have noticed it happens more when I using Chrome and watching a video, whereas I have played video games for hours and didn't experience one hiccup.

I checked the event viewer and nothing, no recurring events with application logs or system logs, drivers are all up to date, tried sic /scannow, done a malware check.

I am at a loss tbh, it's a brand new operating system and I have only used this fresh operating system for 3 weeks. Do you guys have any ideas on what could cause these things? Facts below on my situation:

-new SSD but on already used hardware
-New GPU added (Palit gtx 960)
-Have a second hard drive as a second drive with my old OS on there (which is also windows)
-Nvidia control panel shows my GPU is up to date
-SSD is Samsung EVO 850 (250GB)
-CPU is amd fx 6300
-Motherboard is Asus m5a78l-m
-Ram 8GB
-Corsair 600W PSU

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Hi Swagrid I suspect the cause of your window crash is the old OS installed in your old hard drive. Have you properly partition your HDD using the first boot?And delete the old OS or old files using the partition wizard. But before you do that backup your files in your old HDD and follow what I instructed to you.

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you possible tell me how to get rid of the Operating system on my old Hard drive but still keep the files like pictures, videos, games?

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
First before you format your old hard drive, if you can open it and have to copy the important files to the external drive do it. Or upload it to the cloud storage like one drive, inbox, or onedrive. After it format the two drive and have it combine both partition 1 OS and partition 2 as data storage. You need to empty it first for your new OS using the SSD.

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

That's not a solution for this present moment. I would have to get an external hard drive as I have over 600GB of data (that's excluding the Operating system on the 2nd hard drive) so I would only do that if I knew this solution would definitely work. Why would I have to format the SSD? I understand about the second hard drive.

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

Are you sure? How do you know it has been corrupt (How can I check this)? Is there a way to actually check its the operating system and not anything else like anything else could cause confections? I really don't want to reinstall windows but I guess if it there is no work around I will have to try.

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Yes because you said in the title and I experience that error,because we wanted to change a SSD but we really not wanted to erase the old operating system because of the idea of "trial and error" so we insert one drive then setup the OS there, but actually it will create an error because in one computer you can't use two operating system with the same version. So it will create application failure and cause to crash. If you can you can create two operating system one is low version installed it in drive c: and the high version installed in drive d: and this is the acceptable system of computer.

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

I still haven't done anything yet in terms of installation of Windows. I did some of my own testing, I used internet explorer for over a week with 0 crashes, played games on steam 0 crashes, opened chrome watched a tv show online 15 mins later crashes. Every time it has crashed google chrome is open and every time it is when either watching a youtube video or a online video. Therefore I am going to try and reinstall chrome (hardware acceleration is already off btw).

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Ok, just continue testing, then if not try what I said so that we will know what's the problem, why it crashing. You said that you do updates of the drivers so this ok. Compatibility of your hardware are you sure also that this ok. Now we go on in formatting, then updates your correct driver versions for windows 10 or 7. If this new OS installation will crashing we will suspect now the hardware.Check also the supports of your SATA HDD through the BIOS whether it is SSD drive. or SATA. Before to install any OS.

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

Drivers, hardware, OS are all ok. Updates fine no errors or conflicts I can see from the eye or event viewer. Other than the obvious. Other people on the internet have also been having this isolated problem within Chrome and appears to a bug. I think an OS reinstallation is the last thing you resort to tbh. But yeah I will take your advice and I will if I can't find the answer, thanks.

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015
Still not solved, completely wiped my secondary hard drive, reinstalled chrome 3 times, updated audio drivers and made sure GPU drivers are all up to date. Nothing shows up in event log, I have already tried a repair with the windows installation disc with no success. A right head scratcher, I am running out of ideas to try...

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Hi Swagrid, sorry for late reply, I was ban in this forum, now I'm back again. Sorry for not solving this problem but lets try. I notice in how you describe the problem, "You mention there "Have a second hard drive as a second drive with my old OS on there (which is also windows)", might be this is the problem, because this two operating system might be conflicted because you installed it in two storage drive and it is existing. Then you installed high versions and low versions of OS, so meaning if you installed low version which is win 7 probably you will not see the files under windows 10. So how you will solve this problem?Try to delete the partition of your old OS, but first backup your old files.

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

Hello, I just said that I wiped the second hard drive and that didn't help. I don't know what I am going to do tbh, looking more into it people are suggesting on other forums it could be a graphics driver problem but I literally just updated a new one two days ago. I am getting a new motherboard and CPU this month as I have had to hard reset my PC atleast once a day nearly every day and the CPU I think is becoming faulty.

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

Hello again, I managed to resolve this, probably not the best way but it has worked (I think). I ended up getting an intel MB and CPU, I haven't noticed a freeze since. This was my last resort as everything else I tried did not work, sorry for anyone hoping to find a solution without having to buy new components.