Windows 7 Dell DVD re-install

Jun 16, 2018
Hello,
I installed Windows 7 on a PC with a Dell DVD. No license key had been asked at the time. My assumption is that the number was "written" to my PC motherboard. To solve a virus issue I had to re-install with the same DVD - without any HW change. However, after 30 days, Windows now says my copy is not valid. What should I do? Thanks

Solution
Dells usually have the COA decal on them for the original OS. If your installing the same OS it should work.
For example I bought an Optiplex 380 for $20 with no HDD and no system disc. i installed an SSD and retail Win 7 Home Premium and used the Dell COA number. I had to call MS to explain the Retail/ OEM version mismatch and they gave me an exception number and certified the installation. You could try downloading an operating system image from Dell which would avoid this.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Usually these DVD's are external recovery partitions, and they have an image of the brand new PC instead of having a Windows installation DVD, so these wouldn't ask for a license to install on the same hardware. I recommend that you drop a ticket to their support.

Dells usually have the COA decal on them for the original OS. If your installing the same OS it should work.
For example I bought an Optiplex 380 for $20 with no HDD and no system disc. i installed an SSD and retail Win 7 Home Premium and used the Dell COA number. I had to call MS to explain the Retail/ OEM version mismatch and they gave me an exception number and certified the installation. You could try downloading an operating system image from Dell which would avoid this.

Solution
Jun 16, 2018

It is Windows Home Premium. It was successfully installed for 3 years on the very same system. I did not do any HW update.