Windows 7 Desktop Graphics Loves Multi-core CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Great! Improvements! Now ask MS to improve defrag (to defrag by folders and their content), and not by spreading necessary bootfiles of programs all across the disk, and Win7 will become awesome!

gwellin

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
So better desktop graphics is great, but it would be better for me to see a large improvement in gaming graphic performance as well.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Does this mean that all the crap that nvidia said about core i7 and core 2 duo is the same for gaming was a wrong statement when it comes to windows7?

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Would this be something that can be implemented still in Vista or will it only be available for 7? I'm getting 7 either way, but it would be nice if I could use it in Vista in the mean time.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
They should also backport this to Windows Vista and not just DirectX 11. This will be a highly welcomed fix.

However, I've never ever ran into issues like this in Windows Vista ... come to think of it. I have multiple applications, and my system never stalled. Quadcore or not. Before I got this quad core, on my dual core system, desktop never froze once.

downix

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
backport, not just to vista, but XP! This has been a known issue with Windows for years, dating back to even the 3.0 days that I am aware of.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Just simply having a co-worker read the article before you posted it could have corrected the obvious errors. Or maybe even just re-reading it to yourself out loud like a lot of writers tend to do. I guess that would take too much time.

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
Wow great! Now we can have more crap running in the background to bog down the new architure design!! Woo-hoo!! If they would just stop running so much crap while the cpu is on, it wouldn't be such an issue in my opinion. I am glad they are working to improve it though.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I agree with most peoples' comments about W2K. But I was a huge 98 supporter because of the speed and ease of repair. XP was slow initially. Not until SP2 was it usable. Hardware has caught up with it, and now it is where W2K was... And it has better networking functionality than 98 or W2K. Much like that, Vista has superior networking, and some other very nice functionality over XP, particularly regarding new tech and drivers. However, it lacks backwards compatibility and speed... In comes Windows 7! Joy and Hallelu... Built in XP, with hopefully driver support... That would be awesome. DOS should also be included. Virtualization is the way to go. Way to go on picking up the obvious finally Microsoft!

Thank goodness M$ is finally doing this. It drives me absolutely nuts when my system freezes for a couple seconds when the CPU is sitting at like 10% usage. It just never made any sense to me. ;)

It'll be nice to have a system that runs much more smoothly at the desktop. Especially having a Quad Core with 4GB of RAM, GTX 260 Core 216, and I'm still wondering how it's possible to hang the GUI while simply opening FireFox or some other program.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]Nossy[/nom]Win 7 should be free for all Vista owner. This will only slightly make up for the messed-up Vista experience.[/citation]
Agreed.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I hate to jump the gun, but I'm almost anxious to buy and install 7 over XP on my main rig on opening day.

.. almost. I'll wait at least a couple months and see what the overall feel is. :)

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I'm assuming this has been built into Win 7 all along, and not referring to a 'planned' feature. I have noticed Win 7 is all around more responsive and less apt to 'bog down', even under heavy multitasking. I have thoroughly enjoyed using this OS, it has improved my productivity over XP. I always have multiple firefox windows with several tabs each, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Acrobat, FTP client, and IM client all running while I am working. The 'aero peek' helps me switch between my apps/tasks faster and more accurately, and with a quad core CPU with 4GB ram I never get the sluggish feeling I would in XP.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]JeBuSBrian[/nom]Marcus, proof-read![/citation]

Don't say that! The sheep will vote you down for calling out a pathetically written article.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Great! Improvements! Now ask MS to improve defrag (to defrag by folders and their content), and not by spreading necessary bootfiles of programs all across the disk, and Win7 will become awesome![/citation]
Why? Everyone in the industry knows that windows defrag is a waste of time. They have no reason to work on it when they have many other large companies both benifiting from it in a huge way, and paying microsoft lisencing fees to do it. Infact, I think that's one thing that MS should take out.

[citation][nom]marokero[/nom]Would this be something that can be implemented still in Vista or will it only be available for 7? I'm getting 7 either way, but it would be nice if I could use it in Vista in the mean time.[/citation]

My guess is that this will be Win7-exclusive, largely because of the overhaul in the coding this will require for Vista.

Windows 7 keeps getting better every day though! Only 8 more days until RC!

Status
Not open for further replies.