Windows 7 "Display driver stopped responding..." and USB

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hi,

Can anyone provide advice on whether it's possible to change a Windows 7 x64 setting somewhere relating to the display driver or USB subsystem that might solve a 'display driver stopped responding and recovered' issue?

I have a somewhat old mobo (Asus P5W64, which can't be replaced at the moment due to lack of money), and I believe I've figured out that there is some conflict between the graphics subsystem and the USB subsystem causing display drivers to stop responding occasionally. It only seems to happen when USB is involved, either in moving my USB mouse, or when accessing a USB drive. I've already replaced the keyboard with a PS2 one, but as there is only one PS2 port, I can't use a PS2 mouse (not that I'd want to as I quite like using a wireless mouse and I've never heard of a wireless PS2 mouse to date).

Before anyone asks, I'm running two different graphics cards, one ATI and one NVIDIA, and both show the problem, but the one that shows notification depends on which screen the mouse activity happens to be on.

TIA

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Firstly, I was in error. The mobo has two PS2 ports, and I've been able to get a wireless PS2 mouse up and running, so can rule the USB element out.

I've been fiddling around with various settings on my PC, and it appears that the Marvell 6141 SATA interface has been having issues and doesn't appear to have a Win 7 driver anyway. TrueCrypt doesn't like either, giving occasional BSODs. I've moved the one disk that was on it to the one remaining Intel SATA port I had left and disabled the Marvell controller in the BIOS, and it's been better as there are now no hangs, though there was one BSOD that seem to be related to TrueCrypt.

So maybe solved.