Windows 7 doesn't allow any driver installations unless I'm in safe mode.

ozanuyan

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
I have to go into safe mode to install any and all drivers and Win7 uses those drivers to detect the hardware in normal mode, but it won't let me install any drivers at all in normal mode.

This includes, motherboard chipset, GPU (Nvidia), USB devices, cameras and anything else. I have no solution for this and I don't know how or why this happened. (I couldn't pinpoint the problem.)

I need to get rid of this problem because apparently, Nvidia decided that they don't want to install drivers in safe mode (the installer says it can't install redistributable packages in safe mode, even though they're already installed).

I think I might have delved into driver update permissions and can't find what I changed. Any ideas? Anyone that encountered this before?

ozanuyan

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
I have no security other than Windows Defender, which is virtually non existent protection. Turned that off too, and the firewall really should have nothing to do with this, since updates from Windows servers is always turned off on my computer (Win7 is convinced that my Nvidia card is a Standard VGA adapter, so it constantly tries to update it to that so I have to turn them off).

Even when Windows defender and windows firewall is turned off (they really should have nothing to do with this), the OS still doesn't install any drivers.