Windows 7 Freezes a Few Minutes after Start Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanxd

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Hi, I just upgrades to Winodws 7 64 bit from Vusta 64 bit 2 weeks ago and it has been working fine until the last day or two. Since then, the computer has started to freeze within 2 or 3 minutes after it starts up. I even tested it and it will still freeze on the log in screen. When the system does feeze, sometimes the mouse will move temporarily, but it will usually stop moveing altogether. Also, the keyboard will not work and any sound that was playing at the time of the freeze will loop or just go crazy. The only things I have that run when the system start up is AVG Anti-virus, Precision (my overclocking/ fan speed tool), and Spybot Search and Destroy + Teatime. I can'y think of anything that I downloaded or installed before this happened and I think it just started out of the blue. I never had this problem with Vista, so I don't think it is a hardware problem, but I can't do anything while my computer is like this. Does anyone have/had similar problems or know how to fix mine?

My specs are:
AMD Phenom II X4 955(3.2GHz) 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
1TB SATAII Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX-275 896MB
Integrated Sound card
Power Supply 700W
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

G

I have the exatly same problem.
this is my configuration:

mobo: asus p5ne-sli with nforce 650i sli
ram: 2x2GB ocZ sli ready 800MHz
HDD: 1x seagate 320GB (o.s.) and 1x500GB samsung (sataII)
Video: ge force en8800 GTS 640MB
cpu: intel q9400 2,66
power supply: lc power 700WATT

please I need help :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

Stinky clam

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

I have been told windows7 has issues starting up if it's installed on hard drives over 600 gigs in size, maybe try installing your os on a smaller drive.
Have you installed the latest compatable windows7 drivers from the hard ware manufactuers web sites?
Is your bios up to date?

G

I am using a system very close in config to poster and having the exact same problem. I am also thinking we are all having power supply issues considering how much power these big gfx cards require. Comments?

ladyroxy

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I've got a 1TB hard drive and my system was running fine on Win 7 Professional until a week ago then started freezing, had to shut computer off as nothing worked. On start up it froze on the windows welcome screen after entering my password. I have to keep shutting the computer down and restarting in safe mode with Networking. Everything ran fine in that mode. Then I'd restart in normal mode and could boot no problem. Once the computer was shut down same issue repeated itself. I started in Safe Mode with Networking today and did a system restore to remove the last Win 7 Critical Update and took the computer back to my last update on Feb. 13th. Rebooted the computer and no problems since. I've been on the computer for the last 7 hours with no freezing issues and everything running smoothly again. I suggest you remove the last updates using the system restore feature in safe mode and see if this corrects your problem. Then change your automatic updates for Windows to check for updates but not install automatically. I won't be doing any more Win 7 updates until they get their S--t together at Microsoft. Really disappointed they didn't get this platform right after Vista. Any more problems and I'm going back to reliable XP Pro.

good luck!

RobertT_70

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Hi, I have the same problem with Vista 32 bit and Win 7 Pro...

I can install 1GB of ram on either OS and it works fine, when I install a second stick 1GB of ram I get a freeze up 2 to 3 minutes into the desktop.

However if I install my Vista 64bit version (currenly all updates installed) with 2GB installed it doesn't freeze up at all??

Could it be the updates of Win7 and Vista 32bit are causing the problem? Thanks in advance.

Current rig: (yah it's old but gets the work done)

Abit NF8
AMD Athlon 64 2.8Ghz
1GB Kingston PC3200 DDR1 x2
Builit in Audio
ATI 1650Pro Video
1 TB Western Digital SATA

LittleDude

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010

I had the same problem with my Windows 7 Home Prem. To resolve you need to start in Safe Mode, goto Device Manager, find your sound card and disable it. Start back in Normal Mode and it should be all fine. You'll have to fix your sound drivers before Enabling it again or it will keep freezing on you.

Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.