windows 7 freezing right after start up

tylerx

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
My computer is freezing / locking up right after loading deskstop. Windows update was this week and I guess it installed over night. Tried system restore in safe mode and it failed. Tried to sr again and it said I have no restore points.

sniper360

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013
Is it stalling when the 4 colored blocks appear? I had this same problem and it was very annoying. Everything I tried would not work until one day I removed the video card and tried to start it again. It failed, so I shut it down and left it for about 2 weeks. Turned it on and it worked. About three days into using it. It started to happen again. Went through the whole procedure again and it failed. I used a different hard drive with a fresh Win 7 OS and it still did it. My build at the time was and AMD A10-5800K. I recently purchased a Intel chip and mobo and have never experienced that issue again. Many forum sttrings about the AMD chips doing this. I don't know if that is speculation or not.

tylerx

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
It hasn't done it in a while, Windows updated yesterday and I guess that what happened so I tried to restore a few days back and system restore failed then It says I have no restore points

Chris Scott 84

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
If you can boot in to safe mode fine then I'd suggest uninstalling the latest Windows update to see if that resolves the issue. If it does then you can try reinstalling it again to see if it was just a bad install initially that has caused the issue. Hopefully none of the Windows files are corrupted and it's just the update causing an issue.

You can do this by going to the control panel, then selecting "uninstall a program". Click on "view installed updates" on the left and sort by date installed. Find the ones that installed most recently and right click to uninstall.