Windows 7 GBT problems

logoster

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
First of all, i'm sorry if this is the wrong section, i don't really know what to put this in, but being it's due to my hdd that i'm here, i'm hoping that storage is the correct section.

Ok, so today i decided to go and dual boot my pc to have windows 7 (my main os is windows 8.1) so i had everything ready (the partition and such) i go and boot the 7 installer, i select custom install, i click the new partition i made for it, and find that my entire hdd happens to be GBT, and windows 7 refused to install because of this, now, i have no idea if my MB is UEFI or not, but i think it is, as it has UEFI and legacy boot modes, so i went and re-did my bootable windows 7 flashdrive in GBT mode, only to find that it crashes upon load (don't remember the error the installer gets trying to load itself) so what i was wondering, is if it's possible to specifically change 1 partition to MBR, instead of my whole drive (as re-formatting my drive is NOT an option whatsoever)

logoster

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
ok, new problem, windows 7 setup runs, however once i get to the restarting part (after it expands some files) it hangs at "Starting Windows" with the animation at it's brightest point

Geomaster44

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
Trying to dual-boot with Windows 8 seems to bring doom to anyone who tries it ;). Try installing it again, and if it breaks again, then there is something either wrong with the partition or the flash drive. Try redoing the flash drive. If that doesn't work, then make sure that you made a primary partition, not a logical.

logoster

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
going to see if doing a slow format instead of quick helps at all (also should note that i'm running it straight from within windows 8, as i can't figure out why it crashes when i try to boot from it)

another thing i noticed, was that the installer has this complaint when i install to the partition i made for it

"The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended order. For additional information about installing to GPT disks go to the Microsoft website (www.microsoft.com) and search for GPT.
" i generally clicked install anyway, but could this error be what's causing the problem? and is there a fix that wont require me to delete any data or anything? (like i've said, re-formatting my recovery drives and such is NOT an option)

logoster

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
unfortunately, i can't afford a blank dvd or anything like that atm, so i'm stuck with what i have (i have a picture of the error i get trying to boot to the flash drive, it's the photobucket link i posted above)

Geomaster44

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
Try this: download http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/ and make sure that it says that the partition you made is NTFS. It MUST be that in order for Windows 7 to install. If it is NTFS, then try to re-partition it using that program. It is very good at making sure there are no errors with the partition, and will tell you if there are any.

logoster

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Ok, so today I went and had easus start doing its thing, got to moving data, went to 50% easily, then it slowed down a LOT, am at 56% right now, and its being ridiculously slow, how long can I expect it to take? (Needs to be done before 11:45, am making a 50gb partition for 7)

logoster

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

popatim

Titan
If your bios is in uefi mode then you need to install windows in uefi mode by pressing the F-key that corresponds to "select boot device" during a power on startup and then choosing the "UEFI" option that has your install media in it. Something like UEFI USB FLASH DRIVE (it will definitely say uefi in front of it)
Once you get the uefi install going, the rest is the same as a bios install.