Windows 7 Has One Year to Live

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tanyac

Reputable

We don't know for sure that M$ is heading for a subscription model for home users. They are definately offering it for Businesses.

One of the dumbest things I've heard recently is that a subscription is cheaper than buying it outright. OMG!
Some people can't even do 5th grade math and they are supposed to be IT luminaries...

I pay $100 per year for a 5 machine subscription. Over 10 years I've paid $1000.
I paid $500 for my 5 Windows 7 licenses.Over 10 years it cost me $50 per year.
The price is doubled being on the subscription model..

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...well, considering I am running old hardware as I am on a fixed income and cannot afford the "latest and greatest", that is just one reason W10 is a "no go"

The main reason though is the force fed updating.

I used to do fine with he original "Patch Tuesdays". I could review each individual update file to see if there were potential bugs, or if I even needed it. With W10's policy you either completely disable all updating, or are at the mercy of MS because the new format is an "all or nothing" deal, you cannot target specific update files anymore. The first thing that turned me away form the "free offer" back in 2015 was that early on, graphics driver updates (particularly Nvidia updates transmitted by MS) were creating issues for many users. You could remove it go to Nvida and load the one that worked only to have W10 reinstall the bad one later (unless again, you completely disabled auto updates).

The next point was I had W7 home so I would have received W10 Home which pretty much takes everything out of the user's control and hands it to MS. (you couldn't even defer or disable updating, only in the Pro edition)

Another issue was pointless features like some of which were integrated into basic OS functions, like Cortana, so there was no way to uninstall it without hamstringing operations like for example, the local search function (I read a while ago they made it impossible to do so in Home Edition). Simply turning it off did little good as it would "reappear" with the next feature update. I don't need some personified "personal assistant" to nag me about this and that. If I need to know what the weather is, I look out the window or dial up the local weather site for forecasts. I have no issue with using the old "reminder" and "calendar", I can check my own emails thank you. This isn't bloody Star Trek. I also don't need to waste a tonne of time at install disabling all the junkware I don't want or need. "Fluff" features should be optional not pre-installed out of the box. Many (like Cotana which I refer to as the spawn of Bob and Clippy) could just as well be made available through the MS App Store for those who actually want them. All I need an OS for is to support the programmes I use I don't need a tonne of useless bells and whistles. Is that too difficult a concept for MSD to understand?

Another matter which a number of users in the CG/3D art community have noticed is that W10's WDDM reserves about 18% of VRAM on Nvidia GPU cards. So that RTX2080 TI really has only around 9 GB of available VRAM instead of 11.

As to W10 surpassing W7. That's easy to understand when for the last several years, new systems have come bundled with W10 along with the two CPU vendors, Intel and AMD, no longer supporting W7 with their latest models (Kaby Lake for Intel and Zen for AMD) thus requiring people to adopt W10 if they ant the newest chips. Even custom build houses are ceasing to offer W7 as an option leaving users with only W10 or Linux. [A side note on Linux here, if you are into 3D CG forget Linux as a number of graphics software developers Including Adobe and Autodesk don't support it (well Autodesk does for Maya but that's it).

So yes firmly staying in the W7 camp . here Fortunately I have a very rugged firewall setup and malware protections/utilities.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Remember all those "Adware" or "Spyware" softwares that your Antivirus Tool detects as a "threat" and cleans it up?

Windows 10 is the first "OSware" and that is one of the main (probably the ONLY) reason why a lot of people don't like Win 10.

lanceperez94

Prominent
Mar 9, 2018
I upgraded my pirated windows 7 to genuine windows 10 for free. Windows 10 is fast boots up in less than 20 seconds on HDD and it never lags like 7. I'm using it on a Sandy Bridge cpu.. Works well

lanceperez94

Prominent
Mar 9, 2018
I finally moved to Windows 10 from 7. I feel the improvement like i got a modern PC. I'm using it on a Sandy Bridge CPU and it works well so far.... It's responsive and never lags like 7.. Boots up in less than 20 seconds..

du2

Commendable
Nov 5, 2018
I waited a few years for the switch from XP to Win 7. Mainly because XP didn't require as many resources as Win 7. Once I upgraded my hardware and Microsoft worked out the bugs in Win 7, I switched over. The UI differences were minor.

Here we are a few years after Microsoft released Win 10 and I will not be switching to Win 10. UI changes were substantial. My work computer hit a brick wall once it was "upgraded" to Win 10 from Win 7. The hardware struggles all day and everything is now slow. My home computer can easily handle it but I just flat out don't like Win 10. Plus, I could see right through Microsoft tactics of giving away "free" versions of Win 10 for only a limited time. It's like a drug dealer giving customers a free sample, firmly snagging them with the hook to gain control. Windows 10 costs you in the long run, as several others have demonstrated.

On top of that, Win 10 as an ecosystem is too fragile. They cut and pasted the new OS as quickly as they could and rushed it out. It was supposed to be a completely new OS. Don't believe me? Go to your Settings and click on Power & Sleep. Then click on Additional Power Settings. What do you see? The old Win 7 UI. Everyone knows you roll the dice with Win 10 when updates get forced. Bluescreens, lost data, non-bootable OS, etc. That is completely unacceptable. You may think you are stopping updates in the group policy, but it doesn't work.

Win 10 is also a fail because of it's reliance on the Internet to phone home. You can try and neuter it as best you can but the fact is, you shouldn't have to jump through hoops. Software should give you options and flexibility, not bound you.

Microsoft is hoping that if you use Win 10 at work, you will be too intimidated or feel too stupid to switch to Linux. It has worked since Microsoft got started. Honestly, Linux fits the bill for your average office worker, internet surfer, video watcher, or social media fiend. They are just far too happy and ignorant with their pre-configured Windows 10.

Ertik

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
" Anonymous said:
Windows 10 is an awful OS. Automatic updating whether you want it or not is just a horrible way to respond to your users. I run a Windows 10 machine on my other machine, but I'll keep using Windows 7 security patches or not on my main machine. It is just a better OS.

You can disable Automatic Updates easily.

Local Group Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Components > Windows Updates > Configure Automatic Updates

Set this to disabled to stop Automatic Updates"
[Doesn't work on Win 10 Home.Even on Pro it only postpones the update.

It postpones forever.

We have about 500 computers at work that we don't want to update until the update has been thoroughly tested with our current software.

We use a mixture of Pro and Enterprise so I guess you got me there.

0InVader0

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
I was one of the people who received Win7Pro as a free upgrade for my late purchase of Vista. I did have some driver issues for the first half a year, but otherwise it was smooth sailing all the way up until half a year ago. My mobo got fried through the Ethernet port by a lightning strike. I had driver issues when I bought the new one (audio and ethernet). Took me almost a week to fix the audio.

To my surprise, everything just straight up worked on Linux Mint. Even my USB headset, which has its own built-in sound chip with no official drivers for Linux and my gaming mouse as well. They both just worked.

I won't be upgrading to Win10. I'll wait for the next OS. If that one sucks too - and I can't believe I'm actually saying this - I might stick with Linux Mint for good. Future is looking bright with Proton.

njwhite

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
There are many thousands of users on Windows 7 because they have dedicated Home Theater PC's running Windows Media Center. Windows Media Center is not available for Windows 10.

There is currently NO OTHER PROGRAM for PC that will do all that Windows Media Center does. A huge problem is that NONE of them handle Digital Rights Management (DRM) as well as Windows Media Center. I can't switch to any other program and watch or record all my cable channels.

Big problem for these users.

Jan 15, 2019
W7 user here and since it was released, I have not even bothered to look into the changes (and problems) in W10 because I knew right away I wouldn't be switching until I had to and by then, there would be a whole new list of issues to deal with.

My desktop rig is set up for all around use, mostly gaming and internet, and I have made use of the many options and tweaks possible in W7 to configure things exactly the way I like, with exactly as much and as little OS intrusion and complexity as I wish.

When I read some of the comments here my reaction is just, Wow.

It's clear all of that will be gone with W10. It's clear that trying to use W10 will be just too much of a hassle and I will spend more time on trying to fix problems than actually using the machine. My intention was to begrudgingly switch over next year, mostly because games and programs will stop working with 7. I would suffer with the issues, but still be able to do what I wanted. But reading these complaints here, and realizing that it's no better than it was at launch, I may just have to move on from the whole thing...

The only possible "drop dead" reason I would eventually migrate to Windows 10 is if I upgrade my system to a more modern AMD one such as Ryzen which doesn't have any chipset drivers for Windows 7.

That's it.

That's when I upgraded, right after Ryzen came out I did a new PC build. I did install Classic shell because I hated the tiles(It is now classic start https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/classic_start.html ). Anyhow WIndows 10 has been perfect for me I have had zero issues over the last almost 20 months. I know they are collecting information and forcing updates but so far none of that has caused me any pain.

I still miss W7. It's just some of the fine things they've done on win10 that get me irked.

- one settings area. Please.

- Why so much os level crapware? Livetiles and apps I never wanted

- start is just worse. Fact.

If I could have w7 w/ the under the hood improvements on 10, I'd be thrilled. I use win10 and it's not horrible, but I still hit points I miss W7.