windows 7 help can't log on. "The user profile service service failed the logon. Ulser profile cannot be loaded."

Judy1958

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
When trying to logon to my Dell laptop, I get the message "The user profile service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." I was able to create an administrator account with my nephew's help so that I can at least use the internet. Please help!

Solution
Okay so the profile got corrupted. Simply reboot into SAFE mode or even right now as it is logged in and run RESTORE, and restore to be previous time that it was working is the first answer. This has NOTHING to do with passwords, so forget all your questions or concerns about that. This is simply the system 'corrupted' the profile of that account you normally log into.
Uhmm ewww... Well as your in the ADMIN account then I would do the basics:

Did you install all Windows Updates? Including options except BING? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.
Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update
Remove whatever AV your using and go to www.filehippo.com and download AVAST! or AVG and do a full system scan - this repeatedly has resolved alot of people issue relying on MS Essentials.
Download Malwarebytes do a full system scan (AV doesn't pick up alot of malware) - this resolved almost ALL other similiar posts to date as most had Malware the AV didn't pick up.
Repeat the AV/Malware scans till the system comes up clean.

Download and run SPECCY, copy and paste the first tab to show your idle temps
Download and run MSI Afterburner, run some of the games that crash, what temps are you getting when underload?
Open Computer, Can Air dust out the bunnies and use paint brush on the vents, coolers, fans, etc.

IF ANY OF THIS IS TOO TECHNICAL STOP NOW AND BRING IT TO A PROFESSIONAL IT SHOP.

xcrossroadsx

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Your solution:
in the admin account, open "regedit" in run.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
Inside of that key you will see keys that look like "S-1-5-18" or "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001"
On one of the longer ones, there will be two. One that is "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001" or similar and then another that is "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.bak"
What you need to do is change the short one to "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.back"
then change the long one with .bak to "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001"
then change the one that we renamed "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.back" to "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.bak"

Remember, the numbers here are just what are on my computer. The specific numbers may be slightly different but the process is the exact same.

anthderi

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
Yes Tom, my user was/is the Admin. Please tell me how to change the password when I cant login as Admin. Thanks. Will that help me solve the issue? The message says it wont load my profile...

Okay so the profile got corrupted. Simply reboot into SAFE mode or even right now as it is logged in and run RESTORE, and restore to be previous time that it was working is the first answer. This has NOTHING to do with passwords, so forget all your questions or concerns about that. This is simply the system 'corrupted' the profile of that account you normally log into.

Solution

mkhare

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Hi

I had the same problem and did what you said but it still not work .what should I do.

mkhare

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

yes I did that two times but still the same...........

fitra

Reputable
May 11, 2014

Nicole Smith

Reputable
May 15, 2014
This did the trick immediately. Thanks Tom! I thought my system was toast.

These forums aren't "Me TOO!" threads. This and other similar threads ALREADY provides steps and solutions, IF YOU READ IT and not just post "ME TOO!". Please post your questions separately about your OWN issues.
I would suggest following these answers, first, then post what YOU DID DO on your own to resolve it to avoid being 'redundant'

Pamsum

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I have tried everything u have said to try. When rebooting in tap f8 but it doesn't come up safe mode.. My laptop doesn't have a cd/ DVD spot on it. It just keeps coming up the user profile service service failed to logon.. It only have one profile on this laptop and it has no password.. Please help. Is there anything I can do b4 I throw the laptop at the wall. It runs on windows 7.. Can I some how restart my laptop with connection to iPad?

No you can't connect a iPad to a laptop and run it! All laptops have a DVD, except for ultra thins, they use a EXTERNAL (bought seperately) drive, TABLETS (different then laptops) ONLY have USB connected items (like External drives). IN ALL CASES, when you FIRST POWER ON the WINDOWS COMPUTER, start TAPPING (not hold, and not just a couple of taps) repeated the F8 key. you will get a MENU, not 'safe mode' and you need to PICK in the menu SAFE MODE. Then as noted follow the other steps. You HAVE to have F8, as it is built into Windows code, and is how it 'basically works'.

If your still unable to resolve that, then you need to take it to get serviced to a IT Shop, or like Best Buy, etc. Sadly though the costs for such things START at $150, so quickly you could be spending MORE then just buying a brand new laptop (I3 laptop at Walmart was only $249 used for basic common use, not gaming or such).

Dia- Techxpert

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Sorry Tom. but NO.. when it comes to PC, ALL laptops DO NOT have a DVD drive. Some don't even have a CD ROM.
... Just stating the facts. :p

No your very first ever post is trying to start a flame, and you are ignorant that you only wish to do that, as you did NOT read what I said, but just keyed on one word and wanted to flame right off.

Dia- Techxpert

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
WHOA.. EZ NOW "TOM",, noone's trying to "FLAME RIGHT OFF" anything. :bounce:. (who SAYS that by the way?.. LMAO/SMH) ANYHOW> you stated ALL LAPTOPS HAVE DVD's when perhaps you should have stated that 'Some have and some do not.' Even those that are NOT "Ultra Thins" may not have a DVD or even CD ROM. Calling someone 'ignorant" as if you KNOW ME when they are trying to contribute 30 years of expertise to your little forum is a bit defensive and rude don't you think. Guess I'll discontinue my business with you now at least on my end since I'm so "ignorant" as you so professionally put it. (AGAIN SMH)

A simply thought to ponder,, If one person "zero-ed in" on just one thing you said and may have been misled or confused by the statement who is at fault and would others misconstrue the statement as well? You're no GENIUS nor perfect and forums found on Google offer far more accuracy.

GOOD DAY TO YOU.

:no:

ntesla1943

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
Xcrossroadsx hit the nail on the head for me. I too had the same issue. Tried all the usual fixes, chkdsk /f, checked for malware/virus...etc. I then found his solution and it worked perfectly. My question now is what caused this in the first place?
Most appreciative!
ntesla1943

geomack

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014

Your a genius thanks so simple and other people make it so difficult. CHEERS

lostman2014

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

OK tom what if your system restore was turned off. I can load the guest account but no other. If I got into safe mode it takes my password but to just log in regural it say it fail I even tried to create a new account but it want let me access it