Windows 7 install from external CD drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Recently bought a new mini ITX build and mistakenly forgot to buy a cd-drive for it, so I got an external one in the local shop. I've tried to install windows 7 from the CD but it won't seem to work. I've tried several things in the BIOS menu, changing the boot order to USB-CD ROM etc but it won't work...

Anyone have any ideas to fix it?

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-78LMT
CPU: Amd fx-6300
Windows 7 home premium 64bit

External CD drive is an LG branded one.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Asked my friend that I got the SSD off of, he said it isn't formatted. Stumped as to what the problem is with the PC...think the best thing to do would be to take it into the local PC repair shop.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you pressed F11 at boot and got the boot menu and it showed Win7 as an option, that SSD still has Win7 on it. Which means it is formatted. (btw, format simply means the drive has its tracks and sectors laid out in NTFS. Nothing more)

And if one of the boot options didn't include the optical drive, it probably isn't being recognized as a boot drive... OR you do not have the USB ports selected as a boot option in BIOS.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

Ahh, i remember seeing windows 7 as an option for something somewhere. I just can't remember if it was the boot menu. It was an all black screen and had the option of pressing F8 which then lead me to several options such as start in safe mode with command prompt.

TRENDING THREADS