windows 7 install loads then stops responding at black screen that says windows loading

limerickdrummer

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
trying to update to win 7 from xp. dell and the microsoft check both say my system will take win7. when booting from the win 7 disk it loads then goes to a black screen that says windows loading and stops there. so i re-installed my operating sys back with a image copy and updated , started windows xp and went to the win 7 disk within xp and and installed it. it installs but hangs up at a black screen that says windows loading , i can choose to start my computer with the old windows or new so i can try different things to get 7 to work. i have a nvidia gforce 7800 gtx video card and updated the driver to the latest for xp
i tried to update the video card driver to the one for windows 7 from within xp but wont install saying its the wrong driver for xp.
so its not the video card i dont think making me hang on the black screen and i have no idea what else to try.
ive updated in win xp all my drivers and bios and have all windows updates. any help would be appreciated fred