Windows 7 install

torres

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hi my pc crashed for the second time and it keeps restarting before the win xp boot appears so if i install win 7 will it work or must install win xp then instal win 7.PLEASE HELP

lowriderflow

Distinguished
Just put in a windows 7 disk and boot from disk. Then install windows 7, it will install overtop XP. Ideally you should reformat your harddrive.. but if you have files on there you need then make sure you dont delete any partitions when installing windows 7

Check the Windows 7 compatibility website FIRST! You may have hardware that won't work in Win7, like a video card (old AGP), or printer.

Seem MANY people upset with Windows 7, 'cause this or that doens't work, but they didn't run the "checker" before installing, much less buying it!

Best of all, do you have the Windows XP install disk(s), to SP3? It might have a recovery program on it, like 7 does.....I can't believe I don't know this!

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hello torres - the Upgrade Advisor and the Windows 7 Compatibility Center that foscooter linked you to are both great resources to visit before upgrading to Windows 7.

To answer your question about Windows 7 Compatibility Mode, this short demo video will show you how to use Windows 7 XP Mode. It is only available with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

TRENDING THREADS