Windows 7 Installation: A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrodw01

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
I had a corruption issue with my old Windows 7 installation on my HDD that I couldn't fix, so i decided to buy some upgrades for my computer [these were planned anyway]. I bought a Samsung 840 250 GB SSD and connected it to the computer. I have a P7P55 WS Supercomputer MB by ASUS. The problem is when I try to install windows 7, I get the error "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. Please insert the installation media...etc..." I've tried going into the BIOS and changing around boot order, installing drivers from the MB support disk, cleaning the disk, downloading drivers from the internet off a friend's computer and attempted to install those. I'm not sure what else can try aside from getting a new copy of windows 7 and going from there. Ideas?

kbrodw01

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
I haven't yet - I think I'm going to try that tonight. The case has plenty of USB ports I can try if one doesn't work as well. I'll post an update on whether that helped later

kbrodw01

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Update: tried to transfer OS install files from install CD to my USB flash drive last night using software on my friend's computer. transfer failed due to some damaged files - going to try to get my hands on another copy of the ISO.

ImJoJo

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014

I have seen many saying the the solution is to install from a USB or to remove the CD/DVD drive..others claim the solution is to remove and insert the USB into another port in the welcome screen after clicking on cancel when the CD/DVD device driver error pops up. I am one of those that claim I have tried all those options and I still have the issue. I just purchased the laptop HP Pavillion 15-d035dx with Windows 8 installed..Obviously I, like others choose Windows 7 so I went on to format the HHD and clean install Windows 7..Now I have this head breaking problem to deal with. Different USB Creators, non are helping. Never have I had this issue..I been researching on Google for 3 days now and no luck..any other suggestions?

elvalid

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
After messing around with everything on all posts across google and beyond, I found my issue was that in BIOS, USB 3.0 was enabled, and needed to be set to auto.

Recap:
New HP Spectre USB 3.0 only
Win7 bootable USB
Safe Boot Disabled
Legacy Disabled
USB 3.0 Changed from Enabled, to AUTO.

Hope this helps.

imthejojo

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
but not all laptops hava 3.0 setting in BIOS ...like mine..the one im having this issue doesnt have that setting..so finally after all this research and no solution I decided to re-install Windowd 8.1 bummer. But now i hav a working laptop not a vegetable.

Hardik Padsala

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

Hardik Padsala

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
Ok, I've actually solved this myself via the help of a thread on tom's hardware. I'll post it here for anyone else struggling with the same issue:

OK now is the truth. This is the solution.

I assume all of you is using USB drive to install.

When Windows is asking for driver, just click Cancel. You will be brought back to the welcome screen. At the welcome screen, remove your USB drive, insert it back to DIFFERENT USB PORT. Click Install Now again. The installation process will be like usual.

This problem happened to all new version of updated Windows 7 installer. I think, it is due to failure of Windows installer to remain its detection to the USB drive. It lost the connection, and became confused, don't know where to find the USB drive it used to read before.

When we re-insert the USB drive, Windows installer will detect the USB drive back, and continue like usual.

Murtaza Badshah

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

Hi all,
I had a same issue and i try all possible ways to solve but finally i downloaded the new windows image from microsoft website and used microsoft boot usb tool and try to boot , it solves my issue.
If u had original OEM disk from microsoft it will definitely solved your issue

rzimman20

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

HARDIK, YOU ARE MY NEW HERO!

THIS was the solution to the 'need CD/DVD driver' message, simply move the install USB drive to another port and PRESTO! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!!

Jaws1015

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

Still didn't work. When I click cancel, it doesn't push me back to the welcome screen. So I clicked the X at the top and Yes to cancel the installation. I switched USB ports multiple times, and still won't load.

casba

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014

Try moving to a non-usb3.0 port. If you don't have any I think there's another comment above regarding bios settings and usb3.0

Matthew Dasher

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014

Before hitting the X and returning to the welcome screen, click browse. You will not see the USB drive. Now move the USB drive to another port and continue to open and close browse until you see the USB drive in the list. It took about 3 minutes for it load for me. Once you see the USB drive hit the X and go back to the Welcome screen to begin installation.

quakyeansah

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014

VascoOliveira

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

With all those done, and almost in despair, in thought to myself: "There will be a day where the courage of men will fail... But it is not this day!" So I kept googling till I found your post. In fact, setting USB stuff to Auto (I didn't have 3.0 referenced anywhere) solved my issue on an Asus K550JK. Thank you for your feedback!

cecilhenley

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014

Ok, some people say remove CD drive, or hit cancel when it asks for driver and change usb prts (assuming you are booting from a USB ).

Well, i think a lot of that has to do with luck. the error is caused by settings in the BIOS. so try this.

enter BIOS:

disable UEFI file system
in the tab where it asks for ''SATA mode......set it to IDE
then save settings and reboot from usb and you should now be ok.

if problem still persists....do the above except this time....do not disable UEFI boot.

its pretty much just tinkering with those settings.

hope this helps.

peposk

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
I had a same problem with "Load Driver" when I installed Windows 7 on my Asus X501u. I used external DVD drive. When the message with "Load Driver.. " appeared I canceled it. Then I changed the USB port where my external dvd was plugged and then I install again and instalation started OK. Probably it was changing from USB 3.0 port to USB 2.0 port. Good luck!

chanddeeerrrr

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014

Had to make an account on this site just to say... THANK YOU!!! I've been hitting this Driver error over and over without any luck throughout the vast amounts of forums. Switching USB ports after hitting cancel and then the corner X to get back to the Welcome menu made it possible to install windows :) Cheers!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.