Windows 7 Installation Disk won't use/format hard drive

ZedSpot

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hello,

I sincerely apologize if this has been covered already, but I have yet to find a scrap of info that has helped thus far.

I'm building my first pc and I'm getting blocked right at the gate. I have a 64bit Windows 7 installation disk (home version, "for system builders"). This is a fresh installation, I don't have any other OSs for this build so my options are limited.

It starts out fine, but when I get to the point where I am to pick a hard drive to install to, it won't accept anything. It will allow me to delete partitions but clicking on "New" or "Format" (under the advanced options) makes it think for a few seconds, then just stop like nothing happened.

I have tried formatting it through gparted, but no matter what I do it complains that the drive has been formatted with in GPT, even when the drive is completely clean and unformatted.

I'm using a Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1tb hard drive
on the MSI P67A-GD65 mobo
with intel i7 2600k.

Any help, links, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
There was an earlier issue with Windows 7 not recognizing a NEW SATA hard drive properly which caused installation problems. I solved the problem of not being able to format and install Win 7 by using an XP installation CD to format the NEW hard drive. Good from that point on.
There was an earlier issue with Windows 7 not recognizing a NEW SATA hard drive properly which caused installation problems. I solved the problem of not being able to format and install Win 7 by using an XP installation CD to format the NEW hard drive. Good from that point on.

Solution

srsanford

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

If hard disk is previously used-will have an MBR partition

Win 7 seems to use GPT hard disk

So go to Advanced-remove all partitions-format
then Win 7 will install

On Asuis P8H67 would not boot from IDE DVD Rom-got infathomable "multiple boot images found
type key to proceed: absolute STOP!!!

had to use sata dvd rom-then ok
had

srsanford

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
On Asus P8H67-altho it would boot from OEM Win XP, could not get clean boot to DVD from IDE DVD rom

got
"multiple boot imagers
enter "key" to select,,,

Best to beg, borrow, steal or even buy a SATA dvd drive, set this new DVD drive as 1st priority in sata config of EFI bios

then boot from this new drive

If get "driver not found-buy a sata drive

If Hd was gpt protected, remove gpt protection in a Win XP machine first, set active and format

Then, and only then, could I get a clean install

Win 7 usually uses a MBR hard disk-but can be forced to use a gpt hard disk...

mojtabaattari

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Hi,

There are Two options available.

1. You can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below - these will reinstall the operating system, all required drivers and nearly all of the original software ( the exception often being trials of MS Office ). They will also re-create all the original partitions, including the Recovery Partition.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

2. Another option you could consider is to create your own Windows 7 installation disc.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

An example of a COA Label can be seen Here.

You can create a Windows 7 installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same version that originally came with your PC ) from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here. These Images are clean and from a well-respected source ( Digital River ).

Windows-7 sp1-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx
http://www.bianews24.com
http://www.avarcom.ir

Additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Best regards,