Windows 7 Installation Error

BrianBosboom

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Hello,

I am having trouble installing Windows 7 SP 1. This problem has gone from bad to worse. Read on if you have a similar problem.

....started as an unexpected shutdown that occurred at the final stage of Windows 7 installation. I received the error: "Unexpected shutdown... restart computer then restart windows install". Upon rebooting I would get the same message and could not even access a command prompt.

....has been four or five hours since I first attempted this installation. I have changed some BIOS settings, messed with HDD partition settings.... my system will boot but with the error \boot\bcd\0x00000f. I cannot get back to Windows 7 installation now.

After reading a detailed help comment on the official MS website about this very error, an expert offered a response, saying that the issue is very serious and possibly unsolvable by all but the manufacturer(s) of my PC hardware or perhaps a highly trained computer professional (not a Best Buy or "Joe's PC" type of 'expert').

At this point I am cashing in my chips and only writing this to warn any possible budding PC builders. The problem, I think, lies with the motherboard I chose, and my OS. The MSI A88XI AC was designed for use with Windows 8/8.1, being a very new motherboard, and older OS's were only given partial compatibility, that is: they will work, but only if you tug a number of strings.

If you plan on an ITX build with this MOBO, get Windows 8 or 8.1 or you're gonna have a very, VERY bad time as someone once said.

In a last ditch effort to stitch together this high performance ITX PC I am sending back the motherboard, hard disk drive, and operating system to Amazon for a refund.

With the same MOBO and HDD but Windows 8/8.1, I expect that installation will be painless.