[SOLVED] Windows 7 Installed as UEFI on GPT formatted disk instead

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Scenario:
  1. Windows 10 is installed on my main SSD -> UEFI, GPT
  2. Disabled Secure Boot, Enabled CSM
  3. Made a Windows 7 bootable USB flash disk with Rufus (BIOS, MBR)
  4. Formatted my secondary SSD as MBR
  5. Installed Windows 7 on it
Opened Disk Management and noticed the secondary SSD is formatted as GPT. That's not what I wanted.
How do I install a legacy Windows 7 on a MBR SSD, then?

Solution
First as I'm sure you know, GPT is a partitioning protocol, not a format. The only issue I can see is you probably tried installing Windows 7 on the secondary ssd while the Windows 10 primary ssd was still connected. Boot up Windows 10, go to the disk manager and delete the partitions on the secondary ssd. Then shutdown your computer, disconnect the primary ssd and boot to the secondary ssd with the Window 7 install USB. Direct the Windows 7 install to use MBR partitioning and then install Windows 7.
First as I'm sure you know, GPT is a partitioning protocol, not a format. The only issue I can see is you probably tried installing Windows 7 on the secondary ssd while the Windows 10 primary ssd was still connected. Boot up Windows 10, go to the disk manager and delete the partitions on the secondary ssd. Then shutdown your computer, disconnect the primary ssd and boot to the secondary ssd with the Window 7 install USB. Direct the Windows 7 install to use MBR partitioning and then install Windows 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkaafy
Solution

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
First as I'm sure you know, GPT is a partitioning protocol, not a format. The only issue I can see is you probably tired installing Windows 7 on the secondary ssd while the Windows 10 primary ssd was still connected. Boot up Windows 10, go to the disk manager and delete the partitions on the secondary ssd. Then shutdown your computer, disconnect the primary ssd and boot to the secondary ssd with the Window 7 install USB. Direct the Windows 7 install to use MBR partitioning and then install Windows 7.
Oops, sorry.
It worked! You're the best!

TRENDING THREADS