Windows 7 is Finally More Popular Than Vista

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Apple is it's own worst enemy, dont they realise that allowing to install on any hardware is what made MS the giant that it is? If you were ever going to copy a business model then look no further.Not that I am complaining, MS has over 91% of the market because they follow the first rule of customer service.Give the customer what they want.[/citation]

As far as computers are concerned, I don't think Apple even cares about market share. They are very profitable and I'm sure the mark-ups they have on their hardware make up for the lack of market share. Apple is a throwback to the times when the consumer market was dominated by "home computers" (i.e. Atari, Commodore, etc.). They are a hardware manufacturer that makes the software to run that hardware. That closed mindedness has been both a plus and a minus for the company over the years. I wonder if Linux ever became a fully "plug'n'play" os, who it would hurt more. Apple or Microsoft?

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I`m using win7pro x64 at home for autocad/inventor/photoshop/games, and Ubuntu for the other 98% of stuff I do. I was a hardcore XP user right up until 7 came out, and 7 is very nice. The only thing is, i`m not completely in love with the interface, or how things are located in comparison to "classic" NT like 2000/xp. It`s an adjustment i`m making, because no one should be using a 9 year old OS, unless you have legacy issues.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]As far as computers are concerned, I don't think Apple even cares about market share. They are very profitable and I'm sure the mark-ups they have on their hardware make up for the lack of market share. Apple is a throwback to the times when the consumer market was dominated by "home computers" (i.e. Atari, Commodore, etc.). They are a hardware manufacturer that makes the software to run that hardware. That closed mindedness has been both a plus and a minus for the company over the years. I wonder if Linux ever became a fully "plug'n'play" os, who it would hurt more. Apple or Microsoft?[/citation]
Apple are not profitable because of their computers.
Apple are only profitable because of 2 things, iTunes and the App Store.

As soon as they figured they could reneg on a court agreement not to enter the music business as part of the settlement for stealing the Apple logo from the Beatles, with nothing more than a heavy fine, then they were free to print money. The App Store did exactly the same thing, forcing anyone who owns an iPhone to use the App Store as the sole provider of content.

Apple computers are dying, their marketshare of 5% is stagnant and has been gradually declining. If it wasn't for iTunes and the App Store Apple would be a huge joke in the IT community and ripe for a takeover.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i may sound crazy, but i am completely fine with this chokehold microsoft has on the OS market. I love win7, and as long as they keep up with the goodies, they can keep that chokehold.[/citation]

So what happens when they don't keep up the "goodies" and release another OS like Windows Vista? You want to know why Windows 7 is so good? Windows 7 is such a good OS because Apple slammed Microsoft for 15 months with "I'm a Mac" commercials and forced them to do some quality work. I'm not convinced Windows 7 would exist in its same form if Vista wasn't such a disaster.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Windows 7 is the greatest OS, ever. Unlike anything from Apple, it actually runs the programs you want. No, I don't work for Microsoft.[/citation]

Can Windows 7 run Final Cut Pro? Because an Apple machine can. An Apple machine can also boot into Windows and run every piece of software written specifically for Windows. So. On one corner we have OS X 10.6 that can run OS X + Windows software and on the other corner we have Windows 7 that can run Windows software. Remind me again what programs a Mac user can't run?

This notion that you miss out on a ton of great software if you buy a Mac is silly. You don't miss out on anything. You can literally run every piece of software that is available.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Can Windows 7 run Final Cut Pro? Because an Apple machine can. An Apple machine can also boot into Windows and run every piece of software written specifically for Windows. So. On one corner we have OS X 10.6 that can run OS X + Windows software and on the other corner we have Windows 7 that can run Windows software. Remind me again what programs a Mac user can't run?This notion that you miss out on a ton of great software if you buy a Mac is silly. You don't miss out on anything. You can literally run every piece of software that is available.[/citation]
Try running AutoCAD
Don't forget Windows users can run Apple software as well all day long, your point?

demosthenes81

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Can Windows 7 run Final Cut Pro? Because an Apple machine can. An Apple machine can also boot into Windows and run every piece of software written specifically for Windows. So. On one corner we have OS X 10.6 that can run OS X + Windows software and on the other corner we have Windows 7 that can run Windows software. Remind me again what programs a Mac user can't run?This notion that you miss out on a ton of great software if you buy a Mac is silly. You don't miss out on anything. You can literally run every piece of software that is available.[/citation]
yea but youd have to pay an extra thousand dollars in apple tax for a slower machine

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
What a joke LOL. So what they are saying is that because of the MS monopoly in PC market enough people have bought enough new PCs that have Vista SP2, I mean Windblows 7 on it to overtake all the ones sold with Vista.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]Try running AutoCADDon't forget Windows users can run Apple software as well all day long, your point?[/citation]
So Apple user can run Windows software by booting into Windows.
OK.
Hang on.
Where do you get the copy of Windows again?
That's right you buy it, then install it and give money to Microsoft. However when the roles are reversed Apple doesn't allow OSX to be installed on PC's, maybe if they allowed OSX to be installed on PCs and wound up their ailing hardware division they would be more profitable and gain a higher market share than 5%.

By the way, dual booting doesn't count and Final Cut Pro aint all that.

raithedavion

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Don't forget you can (though by violating the EULA..) install OS X on a PC as well. You can also install it on a VM. And back_by_demand is correct..Final Cut Pro isn't all that. Adobe Premier/encore/after affects and Pinnacle Studio are just as good.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Win 7 is just another smelly turd, forced from the constipated fetid bowels of Microsoft. No wonder it took so long for it to eclipse Microsoft's previous bowel movement, Vista. Sorry Microsoft, keep your steaming piles to yourself. I'm sticking with Linux and OSX, because they actually work, they run more software than Windows could ever hope to, and they don't crash and burn like your obsolete garbage does. Game over MIcrosoft, you lose.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]wikiwikiwhat[/nom]Anywho, I love XP but now I love Win 7 even more.[/citation]
And I love mindless Windoze fanboi's!! Their stupidity and cluelessness when it comes to computers provides me with hours of pure entertainment! Hahahaha!

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Win 7 is just another smelly turd, forced from the constipated fetid bowels of Microsoft. No wonder it took so long for it to eclipse Microsoft's previous bowel movement, Vista. Sorry Microsoft, keep your steaming piles to yourself. I'm sticking with Linux and OSX, because they actually work, they run more software than Windows could ever hope to, and they don't crash and burn like your obsolete garbage does. Game over MIcrosoft, you lose.[/citation]
Intelligent comment again I see /sarcasm
Move along, nothing to see here...

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]ag2twins[/nom]WOW!!! I'm so glad you wrote this article it is overflowing with inovation and definitely shows how Microsoft has not lost it's edge. I mean the way you captured how their horrible OS has lost users to their less horrible OS, that is the epitome of inovation.[/citation]
haha +1

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Azriel4444[/nom]Ehhh... I'll wait little longer to upgrade. Vista Ultimate 64 bit works fine for me at the moment. Not that I am in denial over 7 being better. Just can't justify the price to upgrade.[/citation]

ultimate isn't really that important in my eyes, professional is all i ever desire to go up to and you can buy it OEM for as low as 125 at times, and home premium OEM as low as 90.

so its not tooo expensive but if windows vista works fine for now i can understand not being able to justify the price.

wow, all of the vista hate, it really wasn't that bad there was just a lot of bad hype around it since how capable the computer had to be went up tremendously

as for the OSX people, hate all you want, PC's can run OSX as well (hell i did it with my AMD/ATI setup, didn't keep it on though)

G

just because win7 is like a tenth of percentage higher u can finally call it popular?
don't get me wrong, win7 is awesome... but really to go as far to say as popular with that kinda weak evidence

G

on steam it just goes to show a good portion of gamers are running (presumably) i7's (64-bit OS)

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I just installed Windows 7 yesterday, going from XP, I'll say I actually like XP looks better less fluff, aero, all that, yada, yada ... but I'll say this sindows 7 is rock, solid, I mean it's like a 14 year old boy opening up his first playboy. I'm impressed, windows 7, is a winner. I still love XP though, as well, but dare I say 7 is more stable.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i may sound crazy, but i am completely fine with this chokehold microsoft has on the OS market. I love win7, and as long as they keep up with the goodies, they can keep that chokehold.[/citation]
This person speaks truth

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Microsoft has lost its ability to innovate. Now it patches up its flaws, puts on a slightly more friendly UI, and calls it Windows 7. Don't get me wrong, I like 7 much more than Vista. That being said many of the design cues are taken from Apple, like the dock, semi transparent menus. The animations are taken from linux like window opening and closing, minimizing, etc. Love or hate Apple, they are the company that is pushing innovation in design and hardware on the PC side, while Google is pushing it on the internet.

Personally I am staying with Vista x64 on my workstation while 32bit is on another drive for legacy features. I also use XP which is more than enough for legacy DX5-DX8 games as well Glide and openGL. I got win 95 loaded on another rig. I also have NT 4.0 SP3 and Linux Mint 32bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.