Windows 7 not detect SSD though it shows on BIOS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

saddietaz

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I recently decided to upgrade the HDD to SSD to my Asus UL30VT-X1. Finally getting a G.Skill Phoenix PRO 120GB SSD. After installing the SSD, I made sure the SSD with AHCI is shown on BIOS. Then I inserted the Windows 7 DVD, it just found no drive is available for the install. In other words, BIOS sees the SSD but Windows 7 does not install since it can't see the SSD.

I tried updated the BIOS but no go. I also loaded the recovery image but after finishing it Windows can't find a bootable drive.

I used an enclosure to check on the SSD and everything seemed fine, reformatting the SSD and reinstall, no go. Now I am stuck with my new SSD. I do not know where goes wrong.

I wonder if there is anyone experiencing the same issue and got a solution. Any other input is certainly welcome.

Thanks.

(English is not my native language. Hope what I asked above is understandable.)

Solution

pinky10

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
I'm having a similar problem please help me !

Long stroy short (Timeline of what happend to me):

1. Bought a new SSD (ADATA SX900 64GB)
2. Bios recognized it.
3. WinXP installation didn't recognize it, but the SSD drive was shown in "Disk Management" and it had a "Uninitialized" state

4. Win7 Installation didn't recognize it
5. Diskpart in Win7 Installation after issuing "list disk" said "There are no fix drives to list"
6. Ubuntu 14.04 recognized the new SSD drive
7. Win7 recognized the drive after loading a couple of Intell .inf driver which I selectivly downloaded from Intel website and burned it into a CD to use during Win7 Installation
8. Win7 Installation was able to create new partitions in the SSD drive (By this time Operations took a lot longer than it used to which seemed a little weired)
9. Win7 Installation was ready to install the windows on the new drive but It stucked on "0%" for 14 hours
10. After this Ubuntu couldn't detect the drive either and the new SSD dirve was shown as "Block Devices" in Ubuntu 14.04
11. The SSD drive was also not shown in "WinXP Disk Management" (which was previously shown as "Uninitialized")
12. WinXP did see the drive for about 1 second in "My Computer" and it had the same drive letters I gave it the last time in the Win7 Installation but It got lost after that
13. Me scratching my head and thinking......
14. Me scratching my head and thinking.....
15. Me scratching my head and thinking.....
16. Me scratching my head and thinking.....
17. Me typing in www.tomsharware.com.....

(been going on for 2 weaks now, very frustrated)

short story even shorter:

new SSD (ADATA SX900 64GB)
bios recognizes it
win XP doesn't
win 7 doesn't
diskpart doesn't
ubuntu doesn't

Additional Info (Current Motherboard):
Model: Gigabyte GA-8I915p Dou (rev 2.1)
Chipset: Intell 915p Express Chipset
I/O Chip: Intell ICH6
SATA Interface: 1.5 Gbit/s

anybody?

Fickle Fate

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
I had the exact same problem. Fresh install of Window 7 Pro 64-bit. Bios sees the Samsung 840 Pro, but Windows doesn't. I think I solved the problem. Windows sees the SSD as a USB device or something. Anyways, on my ASUS Q501LA, there was an option in the BIOS to switch to disable USB 3.0 and go to 2.0. After I did this, Windows 7 installation saw the drive. Hope this might help

Electigo

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

Yssr

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015

Hi, I have exactly same problem with ADATA sx 900 512GB. Windows 8 is not installing on it. I have tried making it bootable by cloning a windows installed part I on on this drive, yet didn't work. Kindly inform me if its fixed. Ali. Yssrx@yahoo.com

fordrewls

Reputable
May 22, 2015

Windows Boot SSD Dell Precision T3600

I've tried just about everything I could have but punching the monitor. The diskpart would just return "Disk not found (or similar)," Windows don't detect it nor does EPIFIGGY. BIOS sees it just fine. Also did try and create a MBR and GTB and format partition but any boot host will not see it. Finally was able to get Windows bootable to see it after swapping the interface from the mboard to SATA0 (1, 2+ should work as well). The T3600 has some labeled HDD0/1. Did not like that. Will see what happens after Windows is loaded up and I attempt to switch it back. Of course I get a BSOD after switching back to HDD1. Will probably just leave on SATA. Glad we are going with HP's now. Been flawless for us! Will install mboard & chipset drivers and try it then. Probably all it is.

Martin_4

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
I was making a clean install of Windows 10 on two computers and could not get past the "no disk, select driver" issue during install. I was using a bootable USB created by the Media Creation Tool on new SSD drives. Drive was visible in BIOS and in diskpart. I tried a lot of things but nothing worked:
- Updated BIOS to latest version
- Pointed to chipset drivers and Intel Smart Storage drivers.
- Ran diskpart as described in this post and others, tested MBR, partitioned and formated the drive
- Tested to boot from both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports as suggested here

Out of desparation, I downloaded the ISO-file through the media creation tool and burned it to a DVD. Voila, it worked! Apparently, while booting from the USB, the SATA-drives are unavailable on both these computers (one was a 1 year old ASUS laptop and the other a 3 year old home-built), didn't matter which USB-port was used.

In short: If drive is visible in diskpart and you're booting from USB, try DVD.

CreeDorofl

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Old thread but I had a similar issue, which I've just solved.

I got a new PC with a new SSD, and wanted to use my old SSD too.
Windows installed fine onto the new SSD, but the old SSD wouldn't show in Windows,
or Disk Manager, or Device Manager.

It did show up in BIOS.

One solution listed earlier involves rebooting into the windows installation screens or recovery mode, and then using shift+f10 to bring up a command prompt, so you can format the disk.
However I had files on this disk I didn't want to lose.

My solution was to go to my BIOS options (ASROCK H97-PRO4), go to Advanced, then go to Storage Configuration. From there I had 3 options for my OCZ Vertex SSD, and by changing those options I got it to show in windows.

External Sata: Enabled
Hot Plug: Enabled
Sata Device Type: Solid State Drive (this was on Hard Drive before)

I was able to see the disk right away, without disk management, and was able to open/copy my files.

edit: found a screenshot that has the wrong settings, but this is the screen you want: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/esbnrIqsY2k/maxresdefault.jpg

boredtech78

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
You are am amazing man who's twice the man i am. You obviously don't have to hunt for women like i do because they flock to you. I've tried for two weeks and you solved it five years ago. Fuck yes.

EthanRavecrow

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

WOW you just saved my* job...Thank you very much!

GesseB

Commendable
May 19, 2016

did you ever get a solution to this issue?

MOI-_123456

Commendable
May 20, 2016
THIS IS THE SOLUTION >> http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/howto-install-latest-intel-sata-drivers-without-installing-full-rapid-storage-tech.145706/

THE PROBLEM IS THE AHCI DRIVER THAT IS PROVIDED BY INTEL AS A PACKAGE "WRAPPED" IN .CAB FILES ALONG SIDE WITH THE INTEL RST APPLICATION >> THE WINDOWS SETUP CAN'T SEE INSIDE THE CABS

HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DISKPART AND ANOTHER BOGUS FIXES ON THIS PAGE :))) !!!!!!!!!!

sumpattn

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I have intel pro SSD 1500 series 180 GB and its not detecting like same. You stated different step for Intel in your answer, can I request to elaborate it so I know which drivers to download from Intel site/??

sha777

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016

THat worked for me.

Using h55m-s2 motherboard, with my OS on another SSD. Installed a new SSD to store games and such, and it wouldnt recognise it.

Did the diskpart list disk seelct disk clean option first and nothing much happened - it recognised it in Bios but not in windows 7, same as b4.

THen i right clicked computer, clicked on manage, and opened up disk management. It saw the drive, and allowed me to format it. Once formatted, it immediately showed up - thanks :)

balaurian

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
For those who this method failed, try this solution

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-an-nvme-ssd-from-a-usb-3-0-thumbdrive.783921/. See 'Boot from the USB and “F6” the NVME drivers' part. You might be missing the NVME drivers for you SSD.

You might also need to put the USB 3.0 drivers if you boot from USB. Here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility. I couldn't see my USB drive when I was browsing to load the drivers untill I run this utility on my bootable USB. It's only works only works on Win 8.1 and later tho.

It worked for me
Good luck

rgbiv

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016

THANK YOU!!! THIS WORKED FOR ME!