Windows 7 on a SSD -BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronjackson

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I'm trying to upgrade from Windows XP Pro SP3 OEM (32-bit) to Windows 7 Ultimate by installing Windows 7 on an OCZ Vertex 60GB Solid State Drive (SSD).

Here's the problem I'm having:

1. When I try to install Win 7 on the SSD, it goes through the installation process (i.e. copying files, expanding files, loading features, installing, completing installation) and when it reboots I get the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). In other words, it does everything but completing the installation--I get a BSOD right before it complete. I can't tell what the error code is because the BSOD flashes for only a second or so then goes black.

Note: I ran Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and only issue were minor:

1. Nvidia PhysX Version 9.09.0428 - You might experience minor issues using this program while running Windows 7. For more information, go online to the manufacturer's website.

2. Logitech® Camera Driver- You might experience minor issues using this program while running Windows 7. For more information, go online to the manufacturer's website.

Also, I checked and the motherboard and CPU are capable of running 64-bits OS.

Here's the hardware/OS specs that I have:

Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2KR
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Kentsfield) 2.40GHz
Video card: Nvidia GeForce 8600GT
Current Hard drive: Maxtor 320Gb
Current OS: Windows XP SP3 (32-bit)

Try to upgrade to:

Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on a OCZ Vertex 60 GB SSD.

Any suggestions? Please help!!!

baronjackson

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010

UPDATE: I was able to install Win 7 Ultimate on my other new PC (DELL Inspiron) however, when I place the installed SSD with the Win 7 OS, I get the BSOD still. I tried a repair, but it said it was unable to repair it. Apparently this is a driver or drivers for the hardware that's not in Win 7. I checked the error code and it's 0x940.

baronjackson

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
After doing some research, it appears that the motherboard is too old to run Windows 7 as Windows 7 has legacy code removed. Additionally, Intel doesn't provide Windows 7 drivers for several of their older motherboards including the Intel D975XBX2KR.

Ericmil8

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Im having the exact same issue. I can run windows 7 on my system fine on a HDD, but when i try to do a clean install onto the SSD Corsair Force 60 GB i get the exact same error.

Status
Not open for further replies.