Windows 7 on original HDD and 8 on SSD

BrGaming

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
My computer came with windows 7, but I want to upgrade to 8 but still be able to use 7. If I get an SSD would I be able to install 8 on it then just switch the boot drive for witch ever one I want to use?

Solution

Yes.
Select the desired drive/OS at boot time.

I have a laptop configured similarly. 2 partitions, not drives. But Win 7 on one, and 6.1 Preview on the other. (Gotta update that to the official release soon)

EDIT: Change 6.1 to 8.1

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.
Select the desired drive/OS at boot time.

I have a laptop configured similarly. 2 partitions, not drives. But Win 7 on one, and 6.1 Preview on the other. (Gotta update that to the official release soon)

EDIT: Change 6.1 to 8.1

Solution
I don't recommend doing that.

Once you have Windows 8, there would be very little reason to be booting into Windows 7. If you avoid the new interface with a program like Start8 then Windows 8 feels just like Windows 7 anyway.

I did a dual-boot once just for the challenge then I went "great, I did it" and deleted the older OS.

An UPGRADE invalidates the W7 license.

You need to purchase a new copy of Windows if you wish to dual-boot. I think that's a waste of money since Windows 8 arguably adds little. I recommend W8 for new systems but NOT if you already have Windows 7.

If you still want it, then it works THIS way:
1. Buy Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM ($95)

2. Read how to properly install as Dual-Boot W7 and W8 and do it
(basically, just insert the W8 Install disc and install to a separate drive and it should configure the dual-boot)

3. Install all the proper drivers, software, apps etc.

You'll then have BOTH copies of Windows working, with a choice on boot-up as to which to use.