Question Windows 7 OS in a X: drive format???

Feb 13, 2019
can anyone help me correct my Asus Windows 7, please? Some ass put my boot drive in X: Not the C: or D: drives. all of my original files are in my C: drive as folders, but not the operating system. All of X: drives folders are empty....I don’t even know what to do.....I caught the husband on video camera with someone else & he just had to get someone to go all mid evil on my laptop.....ugh!!!!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
my apologies, i thought you could boot the pc.

here is what i believe you are saying, please correct me if i am wrong.

your boot drive which was c: is now x: but all the files are still there? most importantly the windows folder is still where it should be if it was still c:?

Feb 13, 2019
in bios it only offers some crazy looking file as the primary & one called “Slim DVD/CD” to choose from, there is no C: drive option.Thr folder for windows is still in the C:drive folder...

Don't boot from CD. I can see CD drive containing media labeled OFFICE12 in one of your screenshots. Boot from internal storage device of your pc (HDD or SSD).

All your screenshots are normal for the environment you have taken them from. That's how it will look in windows recovery environment/windows installation environment.

Computer name MININT-XXXXX - is automatically generated in this environment.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i am leaning toward it being simply a quickly created partition that was set to boot drive in disk management. simply changing C: back to boot drive would fix it if this is the case.

try this to change the boot partition back to where windows is.

using your bootable windows install dusk/usb follow this guide

you will be able to identify which partition has your windows on it by the size of it. the screenshots you posted have the size of that drive in it. be sure to select that one to set as active so it will find windows when it tries to boot. if this works and you are able to boot to windows, we'll work on the next step to remove whatever it was created by the malicious user who sabotaged it. it is likely he also installed malware or other nasties so need to look for and remove anything like that as well.

i am leaning toward it being simply a quickly created partition that was set to boot drive in disk management. simply changing C: back to boot drive would fix it if this is the case.
That's pretty wild guess. Possible - yes, but highly unlikely.

I'm thinking .. more likely:
improper shutdown,​
corrupted file system,​
corrupted/missing system file because of this.​
c7rGJoa.jpg

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that was my first thought as well, but if start-up repair did not work, then not much else to do but move on to next attempt.

overall, it looks likely a fresh install might be needed, but trying a couple things first won't hurt anything. more than likely a back-up of data and fresh install on a fresh format will be needed sorry to say.

i'm worried about other nasties having been placed on the pc anyway and would personally do the fresh install anyway just to be safe.

TRENDING THREADS