Windows 7 Pro Painfully Slow After Successful Installation onto SSD

MilkMann

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
I've had a home-built gaming PC for two years now. A couple of weeks ago, I accidentally corrupted my 128 gb SanDisk SSD by removing an old 500 GB HDD (also connected to my PC) without thinking. I purchased a brand new 240 GB PNY Optima Series SSD and used my original Windows 7 Installation Disk to install windows onto; I followed all instructions and the first part of installation onto the SSD took less than 12 minutes.

After the first part of the installation, "Setup is preparing your computer for first use", and the Graphics Setup screen, I was greeted with the First-Time setup screen to set the PC name, password, etc. My problem arose when any response from submitting an input--such as when continuing onto a next step or entering the password I wanted--was painfully slow to come. I could (and still can) move the mouse around fine and type normally, but whenever I wanted to continue with the setup, the next step took almost 8 minutes to load.

I managed to get to get through setup and to the desktop; opening any application like File Explorer or the Command Prompt took a painfully long time to load. Whenever I try to start my computer now, the actual boot time is less than 20 seconds, and then the screen goes dark with the cursor in the middle, and reaching the sign-in screen takes about 15 minutes. I can't even get to the Desktop anymore.

I've run diagnostics to ensure that my RAM cards and new SSD aren't corrupted, I've ensured that my BIOS settings are correct (AHCI mode on, disable USB Floppy, to name a few) all to no avail. I've tried a quite a bit, but I do not know where to go from where I am. Any insight would be helpful.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-3570K LGA1155
Motherboard: msi Z77A-G45
SSD: PNY 2.5" 240 GB Optima Series
RAM: 16GB (8GB x2) ADATA DDR3 1866 PC3-14900
GPU: 2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 650
PSU: SolidGear SDGR-750E

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
If you still have those old drives in use in your new system I would detach them all and only leave your new ssd hooked up to the system. If you have two or more drives in the system with windows 7-8.1 I've noticed the os installs on the selected drive but for whatever reason the MBR gets installed onto the other drive. So I would try to install it again with just the new drive hooked up first, before you try anything else.

MilkMann

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015

That which you have recommended I have already done. I apologize for my lack of clarity.

MilkMann

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
Doing a second install, I had BIOS reset to default and deleted both partitions completley to ensure that I had done what you said. I restarted installation and re-defined partitions, and now it works perfectly. Thanks!