[SOLVED] windows 7 Pro. won't accept product key any longer. What can I do? What should I do?

Apr 18, 2020
A few years ago I gave my son a Dell Computer that was one I bought from the company I worked for before I retired. It is an Optiplex 970 or something along that line. My son rarely uses the computer but it has worked well for the last few years till now. It will boot to windows but once there is asking for the product key. I have typed in the key as it is on the desktop but comes back and tells me it is an invalid key. I have tried several times and keep getting the same error. Someone suggested I download a version of win 10 and that can be done free but I can't get his computer to even get on the internet, I am guessing because it is saying the key is invalid? I know win 7 isn't supported anymore and wonder if it is there way of trying to get us to upgrade. Does anyone know any work arounds for this problem? Thanks for any help.

Solution
you need to try the phone activation from MS. if you go into the system information, at the bottom it has the activation notification area.

it should have a link to activate, when that does not work it should give you the option to use the phone activation and give the number. you'll need your key and it will give you a VERY long key back to type. the system is still on as far as i know and should still work for you.

if you can't get on the internet, that is a separate problem as it has nothing to do with activation. this is likely why it won't activate since it can't go online to reach the servers.

the first thing there is to uninstall and reinstall your wifi/ethernet card's drivers. always the first place to start

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you need to try the phone activation from MS. if you go into the system information, at the bottom it has the activation notification area.

it should have a link to activate, when that does not work it should give you the option to use the phone activation and give the number. you'll need your key and it will give you a VERY long key back to type. the system is still on as far as i know and should still work for you.

if you can't get on the internet, that is a separate problem as it has nothing to do with activation. this is likely why it won't activate since it can't go online to reach the servers.

the first thing there is to uninstall and reinstall your wifi/ethernet card's drivers. always the first place to start

Reactions: fishrman
Solution
Apr 18, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply!!! Sounds like the first thing I need to do is make sure the wifi works and then, perhaps, if I enter the key again, it will work? In doing some research, sounds like lots of people are having a similar issue and an update was being blamed, not sure I need to get rid of that update or not first., I noticed the machine said there was a wifi connection but it didn't seem to recognize it.