Windows 7 question...

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hi guys, If I have Windows 7 Ultimate and I installed it on my Western digital 500gb harddrive..... What if I later modify my computer to a solid state harddrive. Can I install windows on this new drive, using the same CD key, no problem?

*I heard people saying you can only install windows 7 one time on a computer per license

Solution

Yep, I agree with Andy. Windows 7 comes with one license, meaning it can only be installed and used on one computer. So, as long as you only have Windows 7 on only one computer you will be okay. But, you will most likey need to activate your Windows by calling Microsoft. This tutorial will help you if you need to activate via phone: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-windows-7-phone.html.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

You can buy Windows 7 in a version that allows use on three computers but you can't convert the licence on your existing copy to do that. In addition to that, I know SSDs are getting bigger all the time but are you sure they make one that can hold a full-size Windows 7 Ultimate and everythign that goes with it?
[/#000ff]

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Did you buy a Retail or OEM copy of Windows 7?

Either way, you should be able to reinstall win7 on the same computer, even with different drives. With the retail version, you can install on different machines (you can transfer the license).

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I think that is possible. I'm not sure but from what I've heard, Win7 license is locked for a particular motherboard and not on the HDD. They say that upon activation of the product, it sends the serial of your motherboard to MS and map the license to it.

Andy2008

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
If your disk drive failed, you would have to replace it. You would be able to use the same Windows licence for it. The worst that could happen would be having to phone Microsoft to explain that your disk drive had failed and get a new key for free.

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

Yep, I agree with Andy. Windows 7 comes with one license, meaning it can only be installed and used on one computer. So, as long as you only have Windows 7 on only one computer you will be okay. But, you will most likey need to activate your Windows by calling Microsoft. This tutorial will help you if you need to activate via phone: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-windows-7-phone.html.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

Solution