Windows 7 Randomly freezes.

DecideLater

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
Hi all,

I've recently reformatted my PC after having issues with Windows randomly freezing.. It would lock up with no sound, no use of the mouse and keyboard.... I would have to crash the computer using the power button on top of my case.

After reinstalling windows these issues are still happening.... they stopped once i installed hotifx kb2575077 and now they have started up again.... It freezes during youtube, moving huge amounts of data and gaming. I am at my wits end here guys... I've googled this issue and it appears im not the the only one who has had this issue...

My specs are

CPU: FX8350 @4.0GHZ (Stock Clock)
MOBO: ASROCK Extreme 3 970 R2.0
RAM: G.Skill Ares 2100mhz 8GB (2x4)
GPU: EVGA GTX760 2GB SC Edition with ACX Cooling
PSU: ThermalTake 700w
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo Pro 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB
Case: NZXT 410 Phantom

Thanks all!
DecideLater

This could be quite a number of things causing it. The easiest I suppose would be to test the ram. Pretty much every part of the PC could in some way cause issues like this so this might require some time to resolve.

My thoughts at the moment:

Downclock the ram to 1333mhz and see if that helps anything.
If not then run memtest for atleast 3 passes, on 8gb of ram this will likely take 6+ hours.

Things that could be causing the issue:
Overheating
Bad/defective ram stick or ram slot Or improper timings
Bad/defective SSD
Southbridge issues?

Theres more but thats all I came up with off the top of my head.

DecideLater

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014

Did the ram to 1333mhz the other day and it still happened :( Ive got some new ram coming in the mail from a friend seeing as she just upgraded to DDR4.. So hopfully that might solve my issues.... It cant be overheating CPU is cooled via a H100i, and my computer is in an air conditioned room :/

It could still be overheating. Have you tested your system for overheating issues? (Prime95 or IntelBurn for atleast 15 minutes while monitoring temps will give you your max CPU temps and Furmarks 15 minute burn in benchmark test will give you max GPU temps)

The southbridge might also be overheating so I'd grab a free copy of aida64 (or if you know of any other software then thats fine) and monitor your southbridge temps while running the above mentioned tests.

How often do these freezes occur? If you have some free space on one of the other drives (not the SSD) then I'd suggest making a new small partition on that and installing windows on it to see if its an issue with your SSD. (You don't have to activate windows so don't bother doing that and when doing the install make sure that all of your drives are disconnected except the one you want to use, windows can screw up at times when having multiple drives plugged in causing all sorts of annoying issues to previously installed versions of windows)

DecideLater

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
I am beginning to think my motherboard could be on its way out? Ive had 3 locks up today all which required the computer to be hard reset (holding the power button) Ive heard that the Asrokc 970's weren't really that good for the FX8350's....