Windows 7 RC Downloads Now Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
With Windows 7 hitting retail on October 22, it might be worth hanging tough with that Windows Vista installation for another couple of months before going ahead with the upgrade – unless you have an unused PC to spare.
It was my understanding Vista SP1 to 7 upgrades weren't really needed. I'd think the XP to 7 market is much larger.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
This is a side question, but I tried Win7 and I can't get it to recognize my old hp printer. The website still has this printer's driver page but it does not support win7 (and I don't think it will ever be). What to do?

^ i agree im running build 7600 and its very stable. i only had problems with my wireless printer BUT windows 7 has compatibility mode so basically i installed vista drivers on win7 which is pretty nifty if you ask me....

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
@ ssalim:

Does the drivers page for your printer support Windows Vista? If so, download and install those drivers...they should work. If your printer has no Vista drivers, the only option is to setup XP Mode, install your printer on there, and share it to Windows 7.

isamuelson

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]This is a side question, but I tried Win7 and I can't get it to recognize my old hp printer. The website still has this printer's driver page but it does not support win7 (and I don't think it will ever be). What to do?[/citation]

ssalim, I know that my HP 4L printer didn't work until I did a Windows Update and it found the drivers. Have you tried that? As Titanius said, if you had drivers for it under Vista then those should work as well.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]Why would you even use RC its buggy as hell[/citation]

ummmm, i hate to say you are wrong, but you are very wrong.... i have run every build of windows 7, including the alphas....and even at that stage it was more stable than any prior windows os ever. so please, unless you have a valid reason why it is buggy and can give examples, keep yer yap shut. also i would love to know what type of hardware you tried it on? was it one of your store bought systems that originally came with windows 98/ me? but then again i got it to run stable on a pentium 1 and pentium 2 stable, not too fast, but it ran...

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
i agree with Vio, i've been using 7 for over a month now without a single hiccup (there is an instance where a driver doesnt exist, but that isn't MS's fault.)

Overall i'm really happy with 7.

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
going from xp to win7. Couldn't get the RTM version to work longer than a month so I put on the RC yesterday (thanks to the story yesterday). No problems on my media system. I got the discounted version a while ago and I'll use the RC till it comes in the mail. till then just getting used to the new OS.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Honestly, I like my Vista 64 Basic better than Win7 RC Ultimate..... a LOT better actually. Hopefully it will grow on me.[/citation]

well with a little tweaking you can make them look the same, but honestly youll get much better performace pound for pound on win 7....and a lot less freezes, crashes and bsod.... well i should say none cause i havent been able to bsod a single version of windows 7 yet, and trust me ive tried...though i can make some programs freeze, but it doesnt crash the os

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]It was my understanding Vista SP1 to 7 upgrades weren't really needed. I'd think the XP to 7 market is much larger.[/citation]

i think vista should be wiped out.... permanently...though it rounded out to be a decent os, it still gives me that windows me feel, and 7 again is so much faster and better with resources, it doesnt waste them

yesca_mezcal

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I love Windows 7. If all goes well it`ll keep M$ afloat for a few more years and the linux "gurus" can stop yapping about the latest Gentoo distro or whatever inane crap they`re talking about. Yes I use linux, but not for anything serious...all work is windows, and in IT you MUST know it to work. As for Vista, it`s okay, not nearly as bad as 98*FE* (F**ked Edition) and ME comes a close second in there also. As for upgrading from XP? I`m not gonna do it because an OS runs best fresh to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.