Windows 7 RC Possibly Due Out May 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I hated the beta, if it was possible to give it the "vista" look id like it way better. Vista looks amazing and is amazingly fast, 7 was ugly but some how slightly faster. To me it is not a upgrade but basically a different version of Vista, i also haven't seen a real change between the 2.

[citation][nom]ChaosGS[/nom]I hated the beta, if it was possible to give it the "vista" look id like it way better. Vista looks amazing and is amazingly fast, 7 was ugly but some how slightly faster. To me it is not a upgrade but basically a different version of Vista, i also haven't seen a real change between the 2.[/citation]
Ummm... it does look like vista. Did you not install your video card drivers when you installed it? Your system has to meet certain specs to get the "Aero" effects.

Vista looks amazing and is amazingly fast - WHAT!!!??? Are you serious or is that a joke? I installed Vista a while back and it made every program I run MUCH slower than XP. I ended up setting Windows XP as my default OS to boot into (I am running a dual boot machine). Now I have Windows 7. It looks just like Vista and it IS very similar to vista but has plenty of improvements on speed, style and functionality. Vista was such an unstable P.O.S. I couldn't even get it to boot anymore, the updates wouldn't install, programs wouldn't run and yet my PC ran fine when I boot into Windows XP. In the end I just got rid of it and don't plan on going back. I am now using windows XP and 7. I like 7 WAAY more than vista it seems to be more stable than vista was and about as fast as XP.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
revving up the mob, eh?

whatever, so long as they do a good job of it and everything works out of the box with little to no hang-ups.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Ummm... it does look like vista. Did you not install your video card drivers when you installed it? Your system has to meet certain specs to get the "Aero" effects.Vista looks amazing and is amazingly fast - WHAT!!!??? Are you serious or is that a joke? I installed Vista a while back and it made every program I run MUCH slower than XP. I ended up setting Windows XP as my default OS to boot into (I am running a dual boot machine). Now I have Windows 7. It looks just like Vista and it IS very similar to vista but has plenty of improvements on speed, style and functionality. Vista was such an unstable P.O.S. I couldn't even get it to boot anymore, the updates wouldn't install, programs wouldn't run and yet my PC ran fine when I boot into Windows XP. In the end I just got rid of it and don't plan on going back. I am now using windows XP and 7. I like 7 WAAY more than vista it seems to be more stable than vista was and about as fast as XP.[/citation]

Have had 0 problems with vista since its beta, and it is faster. It is definitely the best OS ever made and the biggest step forward. Yes it is faster for some reason, probably that super fetch which uses almost 2 GB of ram.

If it does look like vista than something was wrong, it looked like XP crossed with vista. Ill try it again and if it looks the same ill keep it.

I dont know about you, but i never had any problems, programs now start instantly instead of 2-5 secs waiting on XP.

[citation][nom]ChaosGS[/nom]Have had 0 problems with vista since its beta, and it is faster. It is definitely the best OS ever made and the biggest step forward. Yes it is faster for some reason, probably that super fetch which uses almost 2 GB of ram.If it does look like vista than something was wrong, it looked like XP crossed with vista. Ill try it again and if it looks the same ill keep it. I dont know about you, but i never had any problems, programs now start instantly instead of 2-5 secs waiting on XP.[/citation]
Super Fetch does help and so does Ready Boost.
Ya, looked like vista to me, if it looks like XP to you I would try installing the newest vista driver (on windows 7) or changing some settings to see how nice it does look. (much like vista does)
Do you have an extreme PC? OR maybe you have over 4GB of ram?
I got the OS shortly after it was released (1 month or so) and initially it was fine but I started having issues with updates not finishing thier installation and the issues continued and got worse as time went on. I always got lower frame rates in vista as well.
But there are many flavors, I was using the 64-bit Ultimate Edition.
How about you? Maybe the issues were different for different versions?

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I tried to get into Vista on more then one occasion. Every time I gave up within a week reverting back to XP. Why? 1. Speed was complete rubbish, startup time, shutdown time, loading programs, nearly every aspect was slower then XP. 2. The general feel of it (personal opinion) was just clunky, it felt like I was back in Win ME with a fancy interface.

Se7en on the other hand, I had my doubts at first knowing it was based on Vista. But as usual I like to try things to make a genuine argument of why the OS sucks. To my surprise, beyond installation the OS is quick, looks great, and offers great improvements over XP. I installed the 7000 build and have been hooked ever since. Yes, there are a few bugs that need to be worked out; nothing too serious and their probably fixed with the new builds.

I can't wait for the final release, Se7en is restoring my long lost faith in M$; now if only they can fix their other products...

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Ya i will later, it was a weird bluish color with black lines through it, maybe it screwed up during install idk, and there were a few other things i didnt like (looks wise), but chances are its the same problem as the weird theme and such.

Have had vista installed on 6 computers and 2 laptops since beta, not 1 problem/error. None of the computers were high end, fastest being a C2d 2.o GHZ AMD 4850 4 GB ram, lowest end being a Celeron 1.8 GHZ Onboard graphics 1 GB ram.

Never seen a blue screen never a random error no problems what so ever. Well i take that back i just remembered when it came out i couldn't use my program "Banlist" for my fav game WC3. But that is it.

disavowed

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
i have only ran vista on my latest rig
i7 3.2ghz
6gb
gtx 260
i know its a good pc, but honestly, i have not seen a single thing wrong with vista, its fast, boots incredibly fast, all my programs except for one (cad) have worked fine....i really think people just didnt have the pc's for running vista.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I have vista 64-bit on 3 pc's now......and they all run outstandingly. Frankly I am getting really tired of hearing everyone bitch and moan about how bad vista runs. It works great, as long as you get SP1. One machine is a gaming machine, and frame rates have never been a problem. Another is a HTPC, and it has never given me a problem. Third is my laptop which does everything, games, movies, web, and it has also never had a problem. The only machine I have ever had blue screens on is the gaming one, and those were ALL overclocking related.

Frankly, I prefer vista EASILY as it is much easier to navigate around in, things are laid out better, it looks better, and anything can run it.
YES - ANYTHING. I had a 4 year old sony, pentium 4 3.4 GHz, 2 GB ddr2-400 ram, geforce 6600 graphics, and it runs vista (32 bit since the P4) like a dream. It was JUST as fast as XP was on identical hardware. By the time SP1 was out, which was a while ago now, I have not had a single issue with drivers or software. So the only excuse to bitch about Vista at this point is to be a fanboy, and if thats all you are, shut up, we dont care.

LockPick

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Vista can be as fast as XP, just takes tweaking.

I got Vista to run on a Pentium 3 1ghz with 1gb RAM and a 9500 Pro (Radeon not GeForce)

G

I'm glad Vista worked fine for some people. I had a lot of problems initially on my Dual Core notebook ("Vista Premium Ready") with 2 GB RAM. A couple of problems were related to drivers but there was still a few remaining that could not track down to anything in particular. Certainly ran slower than XP for me. But the thing that annoyed me even more was that, although I liked the look of the new UI look to start with, I quickly tired of all the prompts and trying to find features that had been moved, again. The good thing is it convinced me to try Ubuntu which I am very happy with. Looking forward to seeing what the final Win 7 is like.

sm0kex

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
i dont understand why people hate vista so much it runs great on my comp but if u have a p.o.s. comp i guess u would think it sucks...anyways 7 is quicker and feels more tweaked, but i still prefer vista's style. it pissed me off that i cant go back to the classic control panel and they brought in this whole new "Libraries" i liked it before. in my favorite links pane when i open any folder i have c:, d: recycling bin,documents,music,pictures,videos,downloads,(changed things a bit) now i cant do it cuz it creates stupid duplicate shortcuts. to me it feels completely bogus that they release a whole new os they should of made it like vista se or something.

sm0kex

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
i also hope microsoft doesnt drop vista just cuz some stupid noob says it sucks. i also they take from some of what they learned in 7 and apply it to vista and i want my damn extras microsoft where are they!!!!

philpot2005

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]I have vista 64-bit on 3 pc's now......and they all run outstandingly. Frankly I am getting really tired of hearing everyone bitch and moan about how bad vista runs. It works great, as long as you get SP1. One machine is a gaming machine, and frame rates have never been a problem. Another is a HTPC, and it has never given me a problem. Third is my laptop which does everything, games, movies, web, and it has also never had a problem. The only machine I have ever had blue screens on is the gaming one, and those were ALL overclocking related.Frankly, I prefer vista EASILY as it is much easier to navigate around in, things are laid out better, it looks better, and anything can run it.YES - ANYTHING. I had a 4 year old sony, pentium 4 3.4 GHz, 2 GB ddr2-400 ram, geforce 6600 graphics, and it runs vista (32 bit since the P4) like a dream. It was JUST as fast as XP was on identical hardware. By the time SP1 was out, which was a while ago now, I have not had a single issue with drivers or software. So the only excuse to bitch about Vista at this point is to be a fanboy, and if thats all you are, shut up, we dont care.[/citation]

My sentiments exactly.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
ChaosSG, you and your opinions suck ass. First you troll the Steven Hawking article, and now your making ridiculous claims about Windows 7 and Vista. Go kill yourself in whatever way you see suitable, you're irritating all of us.

(How awesome would it be if the headlines in tomorrow's news said "Computer nerd commits suicide at the encouragement of Tom's Hardware comments")

midnightgun

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
My experience with vista:

- Bought it (with all my co-workers laughing) and installed on a core2 duo system with 4gb of ram, and was kinda sluggish but acceptable.

- Had to turn off readyboost and indexing so that playing wow wouldn't chug, that was annoying, but turning them off allowed me to play it again.

- That was until I encountered a memory chip error on a standard weekly memtest. Had to send 2 gigs (2 1 gig sticks) back for rma.

- With the system running on 2 gigs of ram, it became unusable for gaming and slow as crap for anything else.

- Realizing it was idiotic to have a system crawling on 2 gigs of ram, I ordered a copy of 64bit xp (i got 64 bit vista originally cause my new machine had 4 gigs of ram so i left xp 32 bit behind).

- No problems with 64bit xp.

- I've tried using my copy of 64 vista on a media pc, but encountered issues trying to get anything I want the system to do due to the uac access restrictions (example, copssh wouldn't be able to run bash shell commands, etc). I could probably get it working, but what a hassle.

That's been my Vista experience, and will be my last until I install vista on one of my machines before selling it.

all the newbs just jump on the "hate vista" bandwagon as it seems to be the trend these days. i have had vista 32 and 64 bit on my pc for over 2 years and runs smoothly with no problems or issues.in other words people stop trying to run vista on your pentium 75mhz systems :)

Status
Not open for further replies.