Windows 7 RC Update to Shoot Blanks Soon

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noobinberg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I just wish there was a larger driver support...i still don't have audio...via my Sound Blaster Live 5.1 or the on board Realtek AC97...Heck, Windows 7 doesn't even recognize my on board audio at all...can't install the drivers from the motherboards site...says "No Realtek Hardware Found"....looks like I'm using XP till I upgrade to a new system.

funkjunky

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I was surprised to find my lowest score was from my 8800 gtx for graphics =P. I guess windows 7 really likes quad cores, and isn't fussy about memory clocks (running ddr2 @ 800mhz).

I made a HUGE blog post about Windows 7. I'm switching from vista to 7 now, because I believe it is the best Windows yet in all the important aspects, even in RC. In spite that their are tons of flaws with Windows 7, that seems to me like typical Microsoft ideas gone wrong. Here is my blog post, which makes it seem like I think Windows 7 is terrible, however I didn't mention all the things that just worked. Here's my blog post: http://thejasonride.blogspot.com/ . Please excuse the lack of real posts there... I used it for a week then stopped, and I'm using it again, just as temporary till I get my personal website back up with my own blogging system.

system: q6600, 4gb ddr2-800-4-4-4-12, 2.32 TB 7200 rpm 8mb cache, 8800gtx, and that mobo that tom's uses for core2's =P.

So ya Windows 7 > Vista > XP. However I still believe Mac OS X > Vista ~= Ubuntu. Ubuntu is better, but Vista comes with less headaches... at least until you want to configure particular parts of the OS... then Vista is more of a headache... Yay proprietary!

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
I just noticed the "fake" updates as part of my Automatic Updates pop up thing today. I haven't installed them yet since I'm not in any hurry to install 'nothing' in case I have to reboot afterward (I'm doing my work in this Windows 7 machine, not in the mood to close everything to reboot). :p

G

The MCE works for every video format I have, unlike the vista MCE. It's quick, recognized my tv tuner, and plays all my videos now.

Games know to work without problems, WoW, RA3, C&C3 normal and Kane's, Spore.

Only problem I have atm moment is a random reboot that has no know cause yet. No hardware conlficts, resource conlficts or anything to hint it's gonna die, just reboots.

G

I had a piece of Asus software installed on my laptop for enhanced/single sign-in type stuff. The Win7 upgrade adviser warned me it wouldn't be compatible, but didn't tell me it would keep me from being able to log in. Had to get into safe mode and edit the registry to enable add/remove from safe mode so I could uninstall it. Don't know how comfortable your avg user would be with that. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing.

actionanimation

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I downloaded the RC last weekend and it is running smoothly. I have updated it several times since i installed it. However it seems there are not many changes on the surface but i assume that they made many key improvements to its infrastructure though.

rockerrb

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I need some help with these forums. Does anyone out there know why the text in some of the posts appears as light grey? This is very irritating and hard to read against a white background.

Right now, I'm quite happy with the RC, but not as much as the Beta, which I absolutely adored.

It seems to me that the RC is not as stable or "works the way I want it to" as the Beta for some strange reason. Could be just my particular install, but Beta worked flawlessly, but the RC has two recurring problems.

The bugfixes and such are worth keeping this over the Beta though.

zorreck

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Every time windows 7 resumes from the sleep mode, the whole system completely freezes. WTF? Anyone else having similar problems? Should I update something? I'm completely at loss here. Any help would be great.

zorreck

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Specs: Acer Extenza 4420-5963 (I know, I know, quite old), 160 gb HHD, 2 gb ram, 1.9 GHz,Graphics: ATI Radeon X1250.
So anything needs updating to get rid of the problem?

kingwaldo

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah it works great and looks better too, but don't try and run it on ageing hardware

As if what i have is aging, its still quite current nooorb, thanks for the helpful reply ?

G

Coming out of sleep mode is very haphazard -- sometimes it works with moving the mouse, sometimes I have to press the power button, sometimes I have to restart the computer. Installation was fine, and mostly this seems to be a good OS. But I must say that it is extraordinarily annoying that some programs (such as CCleaner, which I use at least 10 times a day) prompt a window that asks every single time "Do you want to allow CCleaner to modify your computer?"

If I've opened the program, and the program hasn't changed since the last time I opened it, OF COURSE I WANT TO ALLOW THIS! Why can't Microsoft understand that this is NOT SECURITY to constantly put this nonsense in our paths? If this is in the final release, people will find a workaround which will disable any security. Why can't they do what ZoneAlarm does, which is to ask, when a program is changed, if you want to allow it to access the internet, and give a check box that allows you to "remember this setting."

What would be so hard with that?!?

tollman21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
i have installed win7 and so far it is very impressive, especially the voice control. I do however have a problem with sound. I have a Gigabyte M/B with Realtek sound. I got the latest driver which installed and tested ok, but when it came to playing Windows sounds or stuff from the web (you tube) etc I got nothing. Also if you have a 5.1 sound system you have to select 7.1 to get your front L and R speakers to work. I am still persevering and will post answer if i get it sorted

tollman21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Re my previous post. I now have everything working OK. all i did was to do a complete shutdown and reboot and all was OK. I got my drivers from the motherboard manufacturer(Gigabyte) seems the best way to go, as its in their interest to be at the leading edge all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.