Windows 7 RC1 Shooting for April 10 Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
why dont they shoot for april fools day, because that is all windows 7 is, lipstick on the vista pig, and we need to bring our stock price up, so we need to get new money in, so we have to get our customers to buy vista all over again.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I haven't tried windows 7 yet,but Judging from other reviews and comments of it, it sounds like remodled Windows vista.I hope its not true. Besides , april 10 isn't all that far away you bunch of winers.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
“At this time, Windows 7 RC is internally being tested and the official release date is set for April 10, 2009,” writes Sean Bradford at Neowin. “The Windows team is right on schedule with development, and if there are no significant problems over the next few weeks the April 10, 2009 release date will remain in tact,” he continued."

As I posted in the "Microsoft Testing Windows 7 Updater" article I just spent a week testing the 64-bit beta and it has a lot of stability and design problems. It's better than Vista but it's more of a buggy service pack for Vista than a new release. I don't expect them to delay the release however as they need the money and bugs haven't stopped them from releasing past versions.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i wonder how well it runs visual studio, office, games? or will they have to releases patches to these or whole new versions.

when vista came out visual studio users had issues...

AndyYankee17

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
this is not a rebranded vista, you guys are morons, 98% of the code in an OS is not what you see, it's all under the hood improvements. if you judge OSes by what you see just install a vista theme for XP

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]AndyYankee17[/nom]if you judge OSes by what you see just install a vista theme for XP[/citation]
True, but that's what Microsoft uses to reel-in the suckers. Why didn't they release DirectX 10 and Aero for XP? They needed flashy eye-candy to increase sales.

Once a stable version of 7 appears, and we can compare things like games, productivety software, etc... between Vista and Windows 7, hopefully people will see the difference (and hopefully, Windows 7 vastly outperforms Vista).

On an unrelated topic, what's with the 7's recently? Windows long ago abandoned numbers, but went back to 7 for the 7th Windows OS? Intel dropped the Pentium name as its flagship, but named what would have been the 7th pentium generation the Core i7? Are poeople really that superstitious they'll include a lucky 7 in their product name?

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Been testing build 7000, the x64 version, for about a month now and I've trashed my Vista install - no reason for it - 7000 is faster and more stable. No compatibility issues.. ok wait there was one, the first beta driver from ATI had trouble installing, but a workaround was easy to find on google and even easier to implement (basically had to change the install path from default). WIth the new Catalyst 9.1, that problem has been fixed as well, even though 9.1 isn't officially supported for WIndows 7. But yea, absolutely no complaints against 7. Everything is smooth, responsive, and stable.

Also tested it with Acronis True Image. I had a lot of trouble with using Acronis with Vista, restores were not reliable - specifically would get driver corruption issues post-restore. All problems gone with 7. Used the Acronis boot cd to create the image on a second drive (not a deticated partition either, just a file on the drive). Restored the system to perfect use as if nothing had happened - what imaging software should do! Don't know what the issue with Vista was, and at this point, don't care at all.

Overclocking stability is also slightly better then Vista in build 7000, was able to squeeze out about 100 extra MHz. So really erally looking forward to RC1 and final release to get even better numbers. And this is all running on an old nForce4 mobo with an AMD X2 4400+ OCed currently to 2.6GHz(ish) each and Value Select Corsair DDR 400 memory. We're talking 4 year old tech at best. (An no, the memory cannot be overclocked, have to divide WAY down to achieve stability)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]AndyYankee17[/nom]this is not a rebranded vista, you guys are morons, 98% of the code in an OS is not what you see, it's all under the hood improvements. if you judge OSes by what you see just install a vista theme for XP[/citation]

Correct, most will just see a refreshed GUI, but not understand the code development that went into the OS. The GUI is that last thing they work on, they make slight skin changes, but still may look different from today's Windows 7.

G

I actually like Windows 7, I also started messing with Max OS on a dual boot PC (Leopard & Windows XP) and I like the new start menu but it seems to resemble Mac's dock a bit too much. Then i noticed how OS X has had "spotlight" and then windows comes out with "Windows Search 4.0" I know we all borrow ideas but Spotlight is useful and I cant stand windows search.

FrustratedRhino

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
rawrface you should preface all your comments with [mac fanboi] that way we can ignore them faster. All this "it looks like the mac" crap is just because there are only so many ways for it to look, the fact that 2 groups came up with a similair idea more means that humans lack originality not that they are intentionally copying mac.

G

FrustratedRhino(aka MS \/\/hore), I mentioned i like windows 7, only thing that got me to play with mac was just for knowledge and vista did not have much to offer, almost reminded me of windows ME except it was bloated. I will be using windows 7 when it comes out but unlike you i actually am open to other things except mainstream. Maybe if u get off the band wagon and look around u would agree with what i noticed.
-rawrface

"I'm FrustratedRhino and I'm a PC!" sounds good they could use you.

G

FrustratedRhino(aka MS commercial), I mentioned i like windows 7, only thing that got me to play with mac was just for knowledge and vista did not have much to offer, almost reminded me of windows ME except it was bloated. I will be using windows 7 when it comes out but unlike you i actually am open to other things except mainstream. Maybe if u get off the band wagon and look around u would agree with what i noticed.
-rawrface

"I'm FrustratedRhino and I'm a PC!" sounds good they could use you.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]AndyYankee17[/nom]this is not a rebranded vista, you guys are morons, 98% of the code in an OS is not what you see, it's all under the hood improvements. if you judge OSes by what you see just install a vista theme for XP[/citation]

yes they changed:

string ReleaseName = "Windows Vista";

to:

string ReleaseName = "Windows 7";

oh, yeah, they made some minor registry and icon tweaks...

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Office works as fine on Windows 7 as it did on Vista and XP. As for the games, I have only had one problem with one game and that was a patch issue that I have for the game itself. Other than that the system is solid. It does lack some of the features that I liked in Vista though this may just be not part of the beta.

G

I actually was expecting Win7 later;around june or july!
So for me it comes as a (positive) surprise!

The beta runs pretty ok!
I've had some buggy issues with some drivers for notebooks.
Windows 7 has much much and much more drivers to create then any operating system before it (like eg: drivers for printers today, but also for some 3 to 4 year old printers).
I find that Microsoft didn't take lots of time developing windows 7, after the release of Windows Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.