[SOLVED] Windows 7 running within Windows 11 - Which software is required.

cve60069

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Hello

I am needing to run Windows 2007 within 2010/11 and am going to use a VNC software. I want to use AutoCAD and Revit within 2007 only; all other software will be 2010 compliant. I have two questions.

1. Does the VNC software emulate Windows 7 or will I have to load 7 into a partition.

2. If I have to install Windows 7 into a partition, what would be the minimum updates I will require. Would I get away with loading the service packs only and no updates. I am only using AutoCAD and Revit and they worked perfectly on my present machine when loaded in 2014.

Thanks

Solution
The internet tells me that VCN is Virtual Network Computing , that is used to connect to a real system that you can't physically access, it does not emulate anything.

You would have to run a virtual machine like VMplayer or VirtualPC install windows 7 and any software you would like to run into them and then you can either use the software straight away inside the virtual machine or connect to it with VCN although that seems pretty pointless to me.

How much of windows 7 you will have to install will depend on your version of autocad/revit if the app is ok with the base windows7 or with sp1/2 you can get away with installing only up to whatever it needs, although a full update is better most of the times due to stability and security...
The internet tells me that VCN is Virtual Network Computing , that is used to connect to a real system that you can't physically access, it does not emulate anything.

You would have to run a virtual machine like VMplayer or VirtualPC install windows 7 and any software you would like to run into them and then you can either use the software straight away inside the virtual machine or connect to it with VCN although that seems pretty pointless to me.

How much of windows 7 you will have to install will depend on your version of autocad/revit if the app is ok with the base windows7 or with sp1/2 you can get away with installing only up to whatever it needs, although a full update is better most of the times due to stability and security patches.

All of this assumes that your software will run inside of a VM, if you are doing this because of licensing the apps might still complain about changed hardware.

If you have and will keep the windows 7 system then you will connect to it with the VCN and not run windows 7 inside windows 10.

Solution
I run Oracle VM Virtualbox on my windows 10 computer at work with multiple windows 7 computers along with some Linux boxes.

We also have a CAD guy that runs AutoCAD 2000 on a windows 10 box without it being in any windows 7 environment. Have you tried right clicking on the .exe and run it in compatibility mode for windows 7?

We also have some Automation guys running old Rockwell software on windows 10 that has to run in compatibility mode for windows XP

cve60069

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I was going to use VMware Workstation Player on a yearly subscription. Is this the correct stuff for me to run 7 inside 11. If I am running 11, will not 11 provide the security for 7.

I was going to use VMware Workstation Player on a yearly subscription. Is this the correct stuff for me to run 7 inside 11. If I am running 11, will not 11 provide the security for 7.
Paying VMware is only needed if you need to justify it for your taxes or whatever checks your government might be doing on your business, otherwise the free version works well enough.

No, windows 11 will not provide the security for windows 7, you should not give windows 7 any internet access if you want it to be secure.

If your Windows 10/11 workstation is of "Pro" variant, you can use Hyper-V from Microsoft (installable from "Optional Features", "More Windows Features"). It's free, well integrated with Windows, and can be configured / locked as much as you want.

Of course, you'll need separate Windows 7 license whatever VM you're using - from Microsoft point of view, this is a separate computer.

cve60069

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Thanks everyone, especially the advice on the Microsoft Hyper V. I have bought 11 Pro.

How is the best way to load Windows 7 onto the machine. I have my discs for my current workstation which is a HP Z200. Will they work on a diffent brand of PC or should I download a copy if possible.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks everyone, especially the advice on the Microsoft Hyper V. I have bought 11 Pro.

How is the best way to load Windows 7 onto the machine. I have my discs for my current workstation which is a HP Z200. Will they work on a diffent brand of PC or should I download a copy if possible.
Since you already have the Win 7 DVD, try it.

cve60069

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I have just bought a virgin PC and I am terrified of making serious mistakes that will be difficult to reverse. This will be the first of many posts I am going to post.

Thanks all for the advice.