Windows 7 SP1 Beta Now Ready for Public Testing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]CptTripps[/nom]Some good points but... We needed to break away from 32 bit computing and an OS overall was indeed needed to do it right. Windows 98se, ME, 2K and XP all could run the same software (for the most part). They maintained dominance due to the mountains of software available for all of their OS's at that time, not just XP.Now there has been a major overall to the OS and most likely anything written for Vista will work on Win7/Win8 (most even on XP). It's a new world of computing and MS is moving forward at a faster pace than anyone else but; they still maintain a very respectable backwards compatability. Everytime there is a major change in computing there will be headaches, but to think that you won't be able to run most software out of the box is wrong. To think that you will not be fine with win7 when win8 is released is just plain wrong as well.Also, if your "main software" does not work and is not expected to until 2013 how is that MS fault? I think your software provider needs to move their ass. Maybe they should have thought about updating their ancient software before XP reached EOL.On the SP beta, many companies like to run the beta in a closed enviorment to make sure everything will work as intended come rollout time. Your company could have avoided headaches by possibly testing the Win7 RC. That way the problem would have been recognized and you could have said "hey software provider, you got any updates so I am not forced to run an OS that was released on 2001?".[/citation]

Damn, well said, now THAT is the most intelligent post here today, A+++

Seriously, it all starts with the operating system, the software companies/providers MUST follow suit, if not, they are "getting off the pot".

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]The ignorant public = Microsoft's unpaid beta testers. Sorry Microsoft, keep your crapware to yourself.[/citation]

Why don't you keep your ignorance to yourself?

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Sorry, but Microsoft backwards compatibility sucks. Read thekurrgan's post again, he specifically said his application does NOT work on newer Windows versions.[/citation]

I did read it, that is why I replied to it. I think he makes some very valid points and in no way was trying to downtalk him but... the fact that software designed for an OS released in 2001 does not work in 2010 is not really a negative for MS in my book.

For example, I recently installed Shiny Entertainments "Sacrifice" (developed for win98se and released in 2000) on my Win7 64 bit machine and it runs flawless. That is a positive for MS in my book.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]maxiim[/nom]Whats even more sad is the fact that they are just now releasing SP1 BETA and have already announced development of Windows8 or whatever it is to be named. Does anyone else believe this is a waste of time, if there is already a new OS in development?[/citation]

The only reason I will switch to Windows 8 is if the OS comes with a new version of DirectX that is not available for Windows 7...and even then, only when I have a DX12 GPU.

G

Is it a wholly functional SP, or is it only an update to Windows 7?

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]No, I don't want to help a corporation make more money by improving their product for free. I don't have time for that. Testers are paid positions, Microsoft apparently needs to hire more of them. Do you also ask your neighbor to come mow your lawn for free, you know, to help make it a better neighborhood for everyone? lol[/citation]

QA testers are paid positions, yes. But Beta testing has almost always had a public element, because a team of even 1000 QA testers cannot faithfully replicate all of the activities/situations/hardware configurations present in a userbase of millions.

Also, your 'mowing the lawn' analogy makes no sense.. it doesn't apply at all.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I don't see a need for windows 8 atm, unless of course we get those 128 bit CPU's alot sooner then I expect, then 128 bit Windows 8 would be much more interesting.

appletree_88

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Im done for now with OS upgrading. I bought xp, vista, and 7. 7 is my favorite and my new xp. I dont want to know about a new ms os. I will skip it, just because. I know ballmer wants to pump these new editions out, but we the consumer dont want to change and pay that quickly. And, since businesses are even slower than the consumer, I think MS product development has a little research to do. If you come out with windows 8 next year, I guarantee it will take off like Vista. So good luck with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.