[Windows 7] Startup Recovery isn't working...

maestro1286

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hello all,

Apologies if this is a repeat forum.

I am getting this error message after System Recovery Tools tells me the Start Up Repair cannot repair the computer automatically:

Problem Event name :
StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200222
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 6
Problem Signature 07: CorruptVolume
POS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I've also tried using different restore points however it doesn't seem to be working either. I get the message:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:
System Restore failed to replace the file (E:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ with its original copy from the restpore point. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070002)

I've tried using Safe Mode using the F8 key - no luck.

I've also tried to use the command prompt chkdsk /r. After I attempted this it told me my disk is write-protected and couldn't do anything.

It should be mentioned that this all happened after my computer froze, then automatically ran a disk check, and now won't boot up fully. When I attempt to boot up normally I get past the Windows logo (normally the point where I'd log in) and just get a black screen with a mouse cursor.

I hope there's a way to salvage this. I don't want to have to buy a new hard drive and do a complete re-install.

Any ideas folks?

Solution

You can get to the command prompt without doing a system restore by using the windows 7 disc. For more infor please check this link http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/682-command-prompt-startup.html and try either of the first 2 options. Once you are into the command prompt you should be able to follow the PC world link on how to restore the write permissions which should...

liquidsnaske

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Hi Maestro,

When windows 7 load with a cursor and a blank screen it indicates that explorer.exe has failed to start. A temporary solution for this is to press Ctrl+Alt+Del, Start Task-Manager, File -> New Task and type in Explorer which should load your normal desktop.

It sounds like your problems stem from corrupt or incorrect access rights to the hard drive partition. This tutorial should fix this problem: http://www.pcworld.com/article/245174/restore_access_to_a_write_protected_hard_drive.html

Please let us know how you get on,
Phil

maestro1286

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

Thanks for your prompt reply! Unfortunately, my keyboard is unresponsive when I reach the black screen. All I can do is move my mouse around. I have set the BIOS so that it boots from CD and I get to the repair options, but it won't let me go to a restore point nor is it able to do the startup repair automatically...

liquidsnaske

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Hello,

Can you try loading the command prompt from the start-up disc then attempting the fix given on the pc world link form there? After this you will need to perform a system restore which will hopefully complete this time.

maestro1286

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

I'll give it a shot but as I mentioned I'm having trouble with System Restore. There doesn't seem to be a point that'll work.

liquidsnaske

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

You can get to the command prompt without doing a system restore by using the windows 7 disc. For more infor please check this link http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/682-command-prompt-startup.html and try either of the first 2 options. Once you are into the command prompt you should be able to follow the PC world link on how to restore the write permissions which should allow the system restore to work.

Solution