Windows 7 Suffers ‘Total Meltdown’ Thanks To Microsoft’s Meltdown Patch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_135

Commendable
Apr 8, 2017
I used to run windows 7 Pro, then I found Linux Mint, I am Now running Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon as the sole OS on this Computer I call my Video Editing Beast.

Dave_135

Commendable
Apr 8, 2017
I used to run Windows 7 Pro on this Computer that I have called My Video Editing Beast. But then I found Linux Mint, and installed to run along Windows 7, then after about 6 Months I wiped the Hard drive clean and Installed Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon as the sole OS on this Computer. I do not miss Windows at all.

DragonAstaXiel

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
MSFT is so far off the mark of what consumer and business want, they claim "start is back" but do not go reading on the horrid junk fest win 10 actually is, eye sore of an OS the relies on "fancy" 2 year old crayon colors to confuse the eye.

if they were "really smart" they would have noticed how PO most people were with Win10 instead of just "mehh I will get used to it" and had a window 7 version boiled into Win 10, they make money they are happy, we keep something familiar, powerful AND "modern" all in one fell swoop.

forced updates, stupid idea, have to turn on metered connection to prevent it, horrid idea, cortana which most people will never use but cannot completely turn off, moronic, EDGE will redirect traffic to itself even if you are using a different browser, seriously.

they want $, that is fine, but it is our damn computer, not theirs, viruses do not "spread" unless there is a serious problem with the core design of the OS in question.

there is zero bloody reason why the "start" has to take up what a good 1/3 to 1/2 of the screen size, where the control panel that was amazingly easy to access (as was "my computer") win Win 7 was basically buried away to make things far more difficult to navigate than they should be.

Windows is Windows, Windows is not a damn smartphone, nor should they be removing access to apps they make no money on nor preventing programs THEY did NOT buy from functioning or making something "legacy" because it was not updated by the provider in X amount of time.

Windows 10 "the most modern junk operating system we at microsoft have ever dreamed of releasing, where we collect data without your express permission so we can allow adverts to be directly sent to you while making a boat load of revenue" TM.

^.^

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Funny, with Pro, I don't get forced updates, I have the option of refusal. Also Cortana is fully turned off and if I choose to use Edge or IE, that's up to me.
Of course I also use WinAero, a lovely little program that does all kinds of things Win10 doesn't want me to easily do. That includes shutting down the store and stopping all the back talk to MS.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

..exactly, they've been wanting us off of W7 and 8.1 so they can manage our systems for us the way they please, not the way we want.

It started with the nagware and finally going to a W10 "all or nothing" format for updates so we could no longer pick and choose.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CtjhWhw2I8

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

...Windows- "I wanna update"
Me- "I'm rendering a 3 D graphic that will take 8 hours"
Windows- "but i wanna UPDATE"
"but I'm rendering a 3 D graphic that will take 8 hours"
Windows- "Updates anyway"
Me-AUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

...one big problems, a lot of software is not Linux compatible due to no set standard and all the distros out there. None of my graphics software, crikey, Even some of the expensive pro grade stuff like 3DS Max and C4D don't support Linux and they have large development teams.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

...preaching to she choir with me. I remember before the free offer was released there were serious issues with bad updates causing BSODs and startup issues. That is what stopped me. right there. a lot of the trouble early on was due to buggy Nvidia updates. that if you rolled back, were overwrote again. True teh Pro edition allowd for deferring updates but in teh end yo ustill had to accept them. As I had W7 Home edition, that is the version of W10 I would have received which today gives you absolutely no control over what goes on your system.

Before they changed the update system for W7/8.1 (basically W10-ised it) I was perfectly fine. My system is still not infected and I turned all updating off on Sept 30th 2016 the day before they went to the bundled "rollup" format were you could no longer pick and choose (another ploy to discourage holdouts).

Cortana, stupid idea, I would think they learned their lesson from "Bob". If anything, it should be an add on app for those who want a nagging assistant, not integrated into the OS. I don't need some anthropomorphised-personified assistant telling me what the weather is (I can look out my window), that my shoes are untied (I have loafers), or what I need to do today (I have a mind which is still fully functional).

W10 has caused me to regard MS as "MommySoft" who has to hold everyone's hand all the way whether they have no idea about what goes on in their computer to those are completely in tune with their systems and know how to handle and manage security matters. For those of us in the latter group, I find MommySoft's attitude to be degrading if not bordering on insulting.

Dave_135

Commendable
Apr 8, 2017

Currently testing the few Windows-only games I still want to play under Ubuntu Linux with Wine(-staging).
As of now, it's all good.

At work, I'm in charge of making several devices work with up to date OSes. One of these, a touch-enabled stand, got very sluggish and unstable under its original Win7. Updating to Win10 solved it, but I had to disable UEFI and touch wouldn't work properly (MS-provided driver didn't throw the 'click' event).

Solution: I installed Android-x86 on it. For a non-official, developers-only system, it's quick and works fast. And all hardware is recognized right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.