Windows 7 to Make Your Ears Happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

thartist

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Just use AIMP.
Awesome, lightweight, and no glitches even in 100% CPU load. Gone are the Winamp glitchy days for me.

nirvanabah

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]mrface[/nom]do you guys proofreaders or not?[/citation]

Is this intended to be ironic?

But in response to the article, i'm impressed by all the little things MS is trying to do to make W7 that much more user friendly. Eventhough Vista wasn't as bad as people wish it was, and is great now after the SPs, they seemed to have learned a hard lesson from it.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Good article! Does this mean integrated sound cards will actually be worth using instead of buying nice hardware sound cards with release and forget drivers? I'm looking at you Creative!

Unrelated:
Has the double header problem come back or is this a extraneous glitch?

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Toshiba is by the worst offender. Almost every Toshiba laptop I've worked on has had this issue. And many more have some serious issues with any playback at all, despite the computer being idle otherwise.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]who cares about proofing...they are diff language over at toms compared to US. Right??? I really don't know though[/citation]
The toms hardware you're reading has articles based out of the US and English speaking EU offices. There arent really any excuses for it.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]tweak13[/nom]i swear to god if win7 isn't what its being hyped up to be.....[/citation]
Considering that you can use it right now,... yes, it pretty much is. It's not going to do your dishes, make you lunch, or turn your aging budget machine into a supercomputer, but yea it's the best version of windows to date.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]Enough proofreading comments, simply accept the fact they don't do it.[/citation]
yeah really - this article gets its point across. Good enough for me.

BadKharmaCDN

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
I HAVE USED BETA'S AND RC FOR BOTH VISTA AND WIN7. CURRENTLY I AM USING WIN7 ON 2 SOCKET 478 MACHINES. NIETHER OF THEM HAVE ANY SOUND ISSUES THAT I CAN RECALL AFTER CORRECT/CURRENT DRIVERS ARE ADDED.
AS A SIDE NOTE ... I HAVE TO SAY THAT I AM NOT VERY HAPPY WITH WIN7 EVEN AFTER TURNING OFF AS MANY OF THE UNNECESSARY BELLS , WHISTLES AND TRINKET APPS THAT I DO NOT WANT TO SEE OR USE.
THE OS WORKS "OK" BUT IT IS STILL TOO SLOW FOR MY LIKEING AND HAS AN INTERFACE THAT IS TOO BUSY.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]BadKharmaCDN[/nom]I HAVE USED BETA'S AND RC FOR BOTH VISTA AND WIN7. CURRENTLY I AM USING WIN7 ON 2 SOCKET 478 MACHINES. NIETHER OF THEM HAVE ANY SOUND ISSUES THAT I CAN RECALL AFTER CORRECT/CURRENT DRIVERS ARE ADDED.AS A SIDE NOTE ... I HAVE TO SAY THAT I AM NOT VERY HAPPY WITH WIN7 EVEN AFTER TURNING OFF AS MANY OF THE UNNECESSARY BELLS , WHISTLES AND TRINKET APPS THAT I DO NOT WANT TO SEE OR USE.THE OS WORKS "OK" BUT IT IS STILL TOO SLOW FOR MY LIKEING AND HAS AN INTERFACE THAT IS TOO BUSY.[/citation]
Wow, thank you captain capslock.

To quote a very powerful and educated man, "Seven sixteenths of one inch: That’s the distance you’d have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot. I know the burden of pressing shift to capitalize is a great one, but c’mon, you can do better than that. I used to type emails in caps like yours, but then I decided that I didn’t want a job mixing concrete."

G

Article number 24354783467 describing how awesome Windows 7 will be.
Microsoft learned a lesson with Vista.
I´m quitting this site.

deputc26

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
My Dell Vostro cracks and pops constantly, I sent it in twice and they were like "we'll fix it" then they sent it back saying "we did nothing because we couldn't find the problem" no doubt there hdd had a brand new OS and no other progs in the background.

annoying

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]BadKharmaCDN[/nom]I HAVE USED BETA'S AND RC FOR BOTH VISTA AND WIN7. CURRENTLY I AM USING WIN7 ON 2 SOCKET 478 MACHINES. NIETHER OF THEM HAVE ANY SOUND ISSUES THAT I CAN RECALL AFTER CORRECT/CURRENT DRIVERS ARE ADDED.AS A SIDE NOTE ... I HAVE TO SAY THAT I AM NOT VERY HAPPY WITH WIN7 EVEN AFTER TURNING OFF AS MANY OF THE UNNECESSARY BELLS , WHISTLES AND TRINKET APPS THAT I DO NOT WANT TO SEE OR USE.THE OS WORKS "OK" BUT IT IS STILL TOO SLOW FOR MY LIKEING AND HAS AN INTERFACE THAT IS TOO BUSY.[/citation]
How old is socket 478? Your's is obviously a situation where you would want to stick with XP. An moldy old OS for moldy old hardware.

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
My 2003 PowerMac G4 had no problems playing back audio while doing other things (including editing video) but my 2007 Dell at work with Windows XP frequently stutters with only 3 other apps open (and one of those is Notepad so...). It's nice to see MS are finally catching up to the rest of the industry 6 years late.

Speaking of glitches:

computer
makers showed my glitched units than others.

From revamping the taksbar to tweaking sound performance

According to Microsoft, a high number of PC users experience audio clicks and pops when listening to music or watching a movie. Microsoft calls these audio anomalies "glitches."

According to Microsoft, a high number of PC users experience audio clicks and pops when listening to music or watching a movie. Microsoft calls these audio anomalies "glitches."

These are language barriers. These are simple typing mistakes. Double posted title (not a translation issue). Misspelling "taskbar" is a typing problem. And "showed my glitched" is simply a typing mistake as well. I'm guessing "my" should have been "more".

We all make typing mistakes. But when you're publishing an article on a site like Tom's, you just need to proof read your article once through (at least) before you hit the go button.

My post above is a perfect example. "These aren't language barriers." That's what it should have said. But, since I did not adequately proof read (and you cannot edit later) there's a typo in there.

Good thing I'm not the author of news articles. :)

As far as the article itself goes, I've not had much issue with popping noises with music on my PC. Have had slight backyard hissing noise, which is usually due to low quality recordings, speakers, amp, speaker wire, etc. But that's usually only if you turn the sound up a bit.

And since I have a pretty darn old set of 5.1 Creative Labs speakers, I don't expect HD quality audio from my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.