Windows 7 to Reduce Energy Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I'm sorry to say this, but windows 7 certainly didn't reduce my netbook's power consumption, but instead made my battery life shorter. What does this mean? it means it consumes more power.
Many sites has done many tests to see if this "claim" was true. And after all, it wasn't true.
In order to consume less power, the OS itself will need to use less system resources. That's the keypoint.

sdcaliceli

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I'm sorry to say this, but windows 7 certainly didn't reduce my netbook's power consumption, but instead made my battery life shorter. What does this mean? it means it consumes more power.
Many sites has done many tests to see if this "claim" was true. And after all, it wasn't true.
In order to consume less power, the OS itself will need to use less system resources. That's the keypoint.

Considering that Win7 isn't finalized, nor are you using the recommended Win7 version on your netbook (i.e. Starter Edition)...

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]aspireonelover[/nom]I'm sorry to say this, but windows 7 certainly didn't reduce my netbook's power consumption, but instead made my battery life shorter. What does this mean? it means it consumes more power.Many sites has done many tests to see if this "claim" was true. And after all, it wasn't true.In order to consume less power, the OS itself will need to use less system resources. That's the keypoint.[/citation]

maybe you should read that the win7 rc is by default the ultimate version and not the netbook version. TH just did an article about it last week.

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]maybe you should read that the win7 rc is by default the ultimate version and not the netbook version. TH just did an article about it last week.[/citation]
Yeah, but this article "didn't" specify which version. It simply said Windows 7.
[citation][nom]sdcaliceli[/nom]Considering that Win7 isn't finalized, nor are you using the recommended Win7 version on your netbook (i.e. Starter Edition)...[/citation]
Starter Edition is the "included" OS in order to keep costs down. Not necessarily for netbooks. (If I read some articles right :p)
Didn't expect to have thumbs down, cause it was my point of view.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Good thing. Did anyone else see the battery life vs watt hours for laptops on Anandtech? Macs had double the ammount as Windows Laptops.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I saw worse battery performance than Vista, XP, Linux and OSX with both the Beta and the RC (using a MBP) but I'm currently testing the RTM. We'll have to see how it does. So far, it doesn't seem too bad, but I need to do some more timed runs.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Windows 7 will reduce power consumption by automatically turning off your computer for 30 minute intervals every 60 minutes it is turned on...

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Windows 7 now manages hibernation and standby modes more reliably and efficiently, thus now users would likely be more inclined to use those features rather than leaving the computer on all the time.
I would agree that this could help reducing energy consumption, though many (business) users are probably turning it off anyway since they don't want the screen to go dark (i.e. during presentations) and are not concerned about running the computer idle.
I think the biggest savings still would come from hardware changes, but how the OS manages each component (when not in use) certainly leaves enough room for improvement which I am excited about. (I.e. shut down the PhysX card since it's really not used most of the time)

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
People are rating down Aspire for not buying into improved safemode/hibernation as a way to justify saying Windows 7 is more power efficient?

Freaking fanboys. From what I've seen in Windows 7 RC, it has a lower memory footprint, runs stable, has minimal driver issues, a slightly improved GUI, good performance (I've seen gains in FPS even when compared to Windows XP), and overall is a nice improvement over Vista. That said, Microsoft has done very little to prove any of their claims that 7's more power efficient and all early indications show that it, as Aspire has pointed out, actually uses MORE power.

And using the "its not the starter addition" as the excuse is a joke. Who's going to be using the crappy starter edition anyway? I'm not. If you people aren't just enthusiasts, and actual professionals, maybe you should start looking at an OS as an OS, and take both the benefits and limitations in consideration, rather than dancing around with huge smiles on your faces worshiping Bill Gates.

G

I’d love to believe this but the only things that have been reduced with each Windows iteration is the amount of hard disk space and memory available on my pc

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]aspireonelover[/nom]I'm sorry to say this, but windows 7 certainly didn't reduce my netbook's power consumption, but instead made my battery life shorter. What does this mean? it means it consumes more power.Many sites has done many tests to see if this "claim" was true. And after all, it wasn't true.In order to consume less power, the OS itself will need to use less system resources. That's the keypoint.[/citation]

Be happy that you can run it on that netbook most likely atom with 1gb memory.The bottom line is that Microsoft is releasing a better product this time and this time we will hopefully see less system resources being used then XP or Vista.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
fulle:

I rated him down like i guess many others because he simply stated it did use more power.
This is his conclusion after running on one netbook and most likely running the RC.
Also he did not state what options he used or tried to use to conserve power or what version of the OS he tested against what version of which other OS.
His post has a very high i was first so i will spew some random shit out rating even though this doesnt have to be the case.

You might have read some of my other posts and know i am by far a fanboy for any type of OS or hardware (maybe a bit pegasos fan though).
That being said i have to say i came to the conclusion a long time ago that windows vista uses way more power on both my desktops as on my laptop then XP and linux less then XP this however depends on your settings and if you just "ok/next" the installation there is not much difference between any of them.
However windows 7 now comes close to linux while i have less work to get the power saving features to work.
If they tweak it some more it might even get better over time and beat linux from its pedestal.

Keep in mind that linux is way more tweakable then windows and this might be the reason why i get better results though its still cool to see that windows 7 can be more energy efficient then XP while using more resources.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The active power efficiency improvements consist pretty much of 7 reducing power to a disconnected network card. Lets not kid ourselves.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
It's good to see that the next release of both Apple and Microsoft's flagship OS focusing on reducing power consumption. Better for all of us and mother Earth.

Even AMD's CoolCore and Intel's variant in the Core i7 is a great step forward to a greener solution.

livin4noone

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]aspireonelover[/nom]Yeah, but this article "didn't" specify which version. It simply said Windows 7.
Starter Edition is the "included" OS in order to keep costs down. Not necessarily for netbooks. (If I read some articles right )Didn't expect to have thumbs down, cause it was my point of view.[/citation]

But the article did say "Windows 7 to Reduce Energy Consumption"

That means "in the future" as in, when windows 7 is actually released.

randomizer

Champion
What are you people on? Windows 7 has hit Release Candidate stage and is probably at or close to RTM (haven't bothered to look at the dates for that). This means it is already feature complete. Stop using the "oh it's a beta" excuse, because it's long out of beta now. If the feature isn't already implemented, it won't exist until SP1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS