Windows 7 to Ship in Multiple Versions?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]You can't have directx compliance in the same way you can comply with and use standards like HTML or TCP or etc. Directx is a closed source MS product so there are no published standards or specs to comply with. It will probably never come to linux unless it is reverse engineered, much like what the samba team does with SMB/CIFS.[/citation]
The courts, in the name of squashing a terrible monopoly, could force MS open up code a bit and provide allowances for other OS support. I'm sure PC game developers would love to reach a wider market. OpenGL isn't cutting it these days... we need an "openX".

G

"despite what sort of difficulties or confusions they cause for consumers."
when has this EVER been a priority of Windows... ???

G

;) Great discussion.. that Extreme Gamer Edition could be a huge success.. I´m sure there are lot of unemployed people who have nothing better to do. So someone please, take money out of them.. 2fps+ guaranteed!!

G

Come on guys, it´s their product and they can do what they want with it!
If you don´t like it, go and download Linux or stick to the version you already have.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]The courts, in the name of squashing a terrible monopoly, could force MS open up code a bit and provide allowances for other OS support. I'm sure PC game developers would love to reach a wider market. OpenGL isn't cutting it these days... we need an "openX".[/citation]

Oh man, we can only hope. :) Although I think the EU already ruled against MS in a similar fashion regarding AD ...and I'm not sure anything ever came of it

Status
Not open for further replies.