Windows 7 to Windows 10

Oct 2, 2018
if i upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10. will i lose all my data? and will windows 7 stay in my hard disk?

Solution
If you upgrade you will 'lose' Windows 7. It will consume/replace the license. You do get like 30 days to roll it back as I recall as it keeps the entire Windows 7 installation in Windows.OLD. You can't boot from it though.

At this point it would probably be more beneficial to just install Windows 10 from scratch. You can export things like your browser settings, history, etc. The only real concern would be licensed software, but that will be on a case by case basis. Some software doesn't always work with Windows 10 and you need to upgrade individual programs, the updater will automatically uninstall applications that won't run, if it can.

Might be a good time to sit down and catalog what you actually use that is installed on your...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you upgrade you will 'lose' Windows 7. It will consume/replace the license. You do get like 30 days to roll it back as I recall as it keeps the entire Windows 7 installation in Windows.OLD. You can't boot from it though.

At this point it would probably be more beneficial to just install Windows 10 from scratch. You can export things like your browser settings, history, etc. The only real concern would be licensed software, but that will be on a case by case basis. Some software doesn't always work with Windows 10 and you need to upgrade individual programs, the updater will automatically uninstall applications that won't run, if it can.

Might be a good time to sit down and catalog what you actually use that is installed on your system.

If you wanted to preserve Windows 7 completely, you could buy another HDD or SSD and install Windows 10 on that, then have a dual boot capability.

Solution