Windows 7 - Unidentified Network

Scorpium

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
So I encountered this problem this morning. Whenever I try to plug the network cable on my PC, it won't connect to the network and it shows "Unidentified Network", but I can use my Wi-Fi to surf the internet. I'm not really sure what's going on, because I've tried several methods, like re-plugging the network cable, restarting my computer, running cmd and type route delete 0.0.0.0, even plugging the cable on my laptop didn't work.

Anyone knows a solution to this?

Any helps would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Scorpium.

Solution
My next step then would be to check the lan settings in windows.

Do this by going into device manager of windows and clicking on the lan properties/ advanced.
Sometimes the link speed can cause problems.
for example you may have a router that can do 10/100
But the lan adapter of the laptop may be set to 1000.

That would result in not being able to connect to the network and the message you get.

Also make sure the settings for Ipv6 and IPv4 are set to auto also.
You can do this by clicking on network, then in blue the network device currently in use.
First of all check to see what takes priority.
That means The Wi-fi adapter or the the wired connection.

You can only ever assign one IP address to a single machine through a router.
It will not assign two IP addresses if you have wi-fi and a cable running to the computer at the same time. You would get the message unidentified network because of this reason.

You would have to disable the wi-fi, take the Ethernet cable out of the laptop ect, then plug it back in. So the current Ip in use could be released and the router would assign one to the Lan connection.

The router has simply not assigned an IP address to the machine from its DHCP pool. There for it cannot Identify the network.

If you still have problems then disable the wi-fi, connect the wired cable and set up a new network connection in network and sharing.

That should resolve the problem of switching from wi-fi to cable.

G

Try resetting your modem and setting it up again or go to your developers website and get the latest drivers for your computer. A little specification for your modem and computer?

Scorpium

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013

Yes I believe I've tried those, but unfortunately it didn't work.

I don't remember about modem, but I'm sure the brand is TP-LINK. And I don't think computer specs does matter in this case.

My next step then would be to check the lan settings in windows.

Do this by going into device manager of windows and clicking on the lan properties/ advanced.
Sometimes the link speed can cause problems.
for example you may have a router that can do 10/100
But the lan adapter of the laptop may be set to 1000.

That would result in not being able to connect to the network and the message you get.

Also make sure the settings for Ipv6 and IPv4 are set to auto also.
You can do this by clicking on network, then in blue the network device currently in use.

Solution