Windows 7 Upgrade Makes Some PCs Unusable

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
hey, Marcus, you mean Microsoft did not cancel the thread on their forum, like some other OS manufacturer? How about that...

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
A fresh install is obviously a better choice than this upgrading process. Honestly it doesn't take long to back up important data, which should really already be backed up if you care about it at all. And installing doesn't take very long either.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
People doing upgrade instead of clean install deserves this.

I just "clean install" 3 comps and 1 laptop, no issue. Ultimate & Professional. 3 more to go ! :)

I always find it interesting that an enthusiast site has such articles like this. I mean enthusiasts by all means do not "upgrade".

Like with video drivers. Do we just lay them on top of the old ones trusting the install program to properly remove them? No. We uninstall them, pop into safe mode and run a program like DriverCleaner.net then reboot into normal and install the newest ones.

Would we as enthusiasts upgrade from Vista to 7? No. We back our files that are impossible to recover otherwise, format and do a clean install.

And for those who say they can't backup their files, its called a external HDD. Most 500GB ones are less than $100 and unless you have a larger internal drive than that, it will fit everything. Then once the clean install is done you throw your other files on it.

Simple, no?

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
OS upgrades of any kind (MS or MAC), verify your system can handle the upgrade, verify you have or get install media for everything currently on your system, backup (image backup that you can also restore individual files from is best), scan the disk for issues or problems including the unused portions (MAC verify/repair permissions as well), do upgrade (MAC, using "combo" update file), then test everything ASAP. If issues that can't be resolved, do clean install. This is not rocket science but I do sympathize with the folks caught by failed upgrades.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]jjchmiel78[/nom]Marcus, your opening paragraph is a prime example why you seem so hated here. It is written in a tone of pure hatred rather that fact telling.[/citation]
As is standard M.O. with any new version of Windows, a clean install is best. But clean installs are time consuming as they'd require back ups and reformats and installs and reinstalls and configurations. For some, just doing an upgrade is the preferred way.

Yeah, feel that hatred boiling up through the screen there...

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
My laptop is now in what seems to be a loop of restarting and trying to restore the files.
So now you have to ask yourself, was the upgrade really faster?? Do a fresh install like you should have done in the first place!!

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Although not an upgrade horror story, I did have a wretched time installing a clean copy Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on a PC that was previously running a 32 bit eval copy of Windows 7. Good lord at the BSODs! I tried doing a clean install and it was just a disaster of Biblical proportions. FINALLY after ~10 BSODs I made my way to the Windows Update section and coerced some updates to come down. One was described as being critical for the stable operation under some circumstances... uh... yeah... thanks! Anyways, all seems well now, but it wasn't pretty getting here.

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Clean install time consuming? Took me roughly 15 minutes to do a clean install of the beta and RC but took my friend an hour or so to do an upgrade from vista to the RC.

I'm sure the extra time the upgrade takes is due to 7 getting rid of vista's shitware.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I did the clean-install upgrade from Windows Vista, but after using it once and booting it up again, it would hang on the black screen where the cursor pop ups before the Welcome splash. I just decided to do a fresh install to upgrade trick with Windows 7's upgrade disc instead, since it doesn't actually get rid of everything with that clean-install option.

It's been good so far though.

the hedgehog

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Time consuming to do a fresh install?

my old T22 doesn't take that long to format and install an OS. = |
the longest part is just downloading all the updates.

Anyways, I've never like the upgrade thing, I understand it, but I don't like it...

G

those who are against Windows should refrain themselves to write Windows articles on a mainly Windows oriented website!

If this website was Apple, the ads would cost twice the price, and the site would have only 1 button on the top!

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
[citation][nom]zach538467[/nom]Somehow I knew this was written by Marcus before I even clicked on the headline...[/citation]
me too... at least its not an article about how wonderful mac products are.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]the hedgehog[/nom]Time consuming to do a fresh install? my old T22 doesn't take that long to format and install an OS. = |the longest part is just downloading all the updates.Anyways, I've never like the upgrade thing, I understand it, but I don't like it...[/citation]
Fresh install is a lot faster than upgrade too. Sure, you have to install your programs again, but the amount of time to do that is about the same as the upgrade process to complete.

Ofcourse, I have shortcuts like having all my files on a different partition than the system drive. More people should think about their computer habits and how to cut corners.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Maybe Microsoft should just swallow their pride and advise people against upgrading and to go with a clean install.

Of course, Apple will just add it to their commercial.

I concur with the majority of opinions: Do a fresh install, it will make your life a lot easier. That's what I did with my upgrade from Vista x64 to W7 from Digital River and had no issues; didn't take long either.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I did a upgrade in place with 7 home premium 64. I just wasn't happy with the mismatch user file structure, and it didn't seem as "crisp" as it should. I backed up and did a fresh install. It feels crisp and fresh. I got everything to a pristine state and then backed up a mirror copy, so I don't have to go through it again.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Didn't even read the article. Had a feeling it was the Yamster. Pointless and a waste of time. Glad I didn't read. This site has becoming more garbage. No wonder I visit other sites more.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
criticism of a product or part of a product should make it better. wanting to make something better is motivated by love. if i saw something was broken and didnt care i'd silently walk away. thats why i dont understand those who flail at the author of the article -- unless theyre PR folks from MS which, in that case, would be their job.

same kinda stuff happens with all software, even open source. instead of crying over the critcism, acknowledge it and ... get to work making it better ... like MS is doing with Sidekick.

in any relationship. start by fessing up, acknowledge the issue, determine the size of it, say theyre sorry and then update us all on how theyre fixing it. makes it look like you love your product as much as the critcizer. makes you look like making it perfect is attached to something deep inside.

unless Marcus broke it, of course. Marcus? did you break the upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.