Windows 7 video driver for GeForce 5600 vidoe card

JackGFuller

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Wonder of wonders! Omegadrivers.net worked! Downloaded the Win7/Vista driver at

http://www.omegadrivers.net/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&id=5:windows-7-vista-32-bit&Itemid=96

then ran it in Vista compatability mode, as an Administrator, as shown here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=302157

My problem occurred because of running an 8-year-old computer [for which I did not want to invest in a new graphics card. The card is an Nvidia GeForce FX 5600, for which there is not an Nvidia-supplied Win7 driver.

I upgraded WinXP Pro SP3 to Win7 Home Premium, and Win7 could not find a driver for what was now described as a "VGA video card" - that is, it did not recognize the 5600. And so I was stuck with a 680 x 400 resolution that couldn't be changed.

After downloading and installing per the sites above, and using the new driver, I was able to change my resolution to 1024 x 768, the best my monitor [it's actually a TV] will support.

Thank you, Tom, for your forum!!

Jack Fuller

JackGFuller

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Thanks for the link. I had tried this before, getting the driver right from Nvidia. However, Nvidia doesn't offer a Win7 driver for the 5600; only a Vista version. I may have been able to install that with Vista compatabilty, but when I tried to install it "straight up", I was informed that my computer wasn't running Vista.

sbt

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I have just gone through the process of upgrading my elderly home PC from XP to Windows 7 (32-bit), and eventually got my Winfast A310 TD MyVivo card, which is based on the Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 working (I had been using the Nvidia drivers under XP).

I tried the Omega drivers as per instructions above with partial success. My two problems were:
1. There did not appear to be any support for 1920x1200 monitors. Available resolutions were too small or too big.
2. Couldn't find any support for dual monitors.

I was successful with the drivers from the Nvidia site, though. Here's how:

Do a manual driver search on www.geforce.com/drivers, by selecting the following options:
- Geforce
- Geforce 5 FX Series
- Windows XP
- English
- All
Choose driver: GeForce Release 175.16 WHQL 13 May 2008, which downloads file "175.16_geforce_winxp_32bit_international_whql.exe".

Run this file as administrator under Windows XP SP3 compatability mode (see instructions for Omega driver above). The installation files are extracted into a folder of your choice. I chose C:\temp.
The installation will eventually throw an error to say that these drivers are not compatible with Windows 7. Cancel the installation and locate the extracted file c:\temp\\NVIDIA\Win2k\175.16\IS\setup.exe. Right click on this file, and set the properties to run it as Administrator under Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.
Double-click on setup.exe, and the drivers should install fine.

Jun 8, 2019
I have just gone through the process of upgrading my elderly home PC from XP to Windows 7 (32-bit), and eventually got my Winfast A310 TD MyVivo card, which is based on the Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 working (I had been using the Nvidia drivers under XP).

I tried the Omega drivers as per instructions above with partial success. My two problems were:
  1. There did not appear to be any support for 1920x1200 monitors. Available resolutions were too small or too big.
  2. Couldn't find any support for dual monitors.

I was successful with the drivers from the Nvidia site, though. Here's how:

Do a manual driver search on www.geforce.com/drivers, by selecting the following options:
  • Geforce
  • Geforce 5 FX Series
  • Windows XP
  • English
  • All
Choose driver: GeForce Release 175.16 WHQL 13 May 2008, which downloads file "175.16_geforce_winxp_32bit_international_whql.exe".

Run this file as administrator under Windows XP SP3 compatability mode (see instructions for Omega driver above). The installation files are extracted into a folder of your choice. I chose C:\temp.
The installation will eventually throw an error to say that these drivers are not compatible with Windows 7. Cancel the installation and locate the extracted file c:\temp\\NVIDIA\Win2k\175.16\IS\setup.exe. Right click on this file, and set the properties to run it as Administrator under Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.
Double-click on setup.exe, and the drivers should install fine.

Just wanted to confirm that this works 6 years later...even better than described! Can't rave too much about how helpful this was in avoiding a $3,000 upgrade to my embedded XP system for manufacturing. (Ok, I could have tried another (better) video card and looked for Win 7 drivers but I'll save that for when the FX5600 finally kicks the bucket.) In my case the suggestion to run as admin under Windows XP SP3 was all that was needed. The installer ran to successful completion and after a restart all was good! Win 7 finally recognizes the FX5600 with its support for 1920x1080. Fantastic! Well done! Thanks so much for Tom's Hardware and a great bunch of members as the above.