Windows 7 vs Windows 10

oppsan

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
Hey I've tried to install windows 10 two times but each time i couldnt move my cursor once the download got complete so I had to restore Windows 7. Anyway, I wonder if it's any difference performance-wise between 7 and 10. DirectX 11 and 12. I've reserached and there are a lot of different conclusions out there - some say their FPS increase by 100% and others say there's no difference at all. What do you say?
My rig:
GTX 970
i7 2600k Sandy bridge 3.4 Ghz
8gb RAM
Windows 7 ultimate
EDIT: Mainly wondering about Battlefield 1 if that matters.

Solution
how are you downloading win 10?
You can download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD, and fresh install it.. Provided you had win 10 on PC already, anyway.

I don't know about performance differences in BF1 as I never tried to play it.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

windows 10 also has vulkan as it is based on your graphics driver to support it. and windows 10 is best for gaming so dont tell him Directx has issues and all that it dont. windows 10 is trhe best version of windows to date many new features . but anyways

NerdIT

Distinguished

DirectX 12 will only be supported by Windows 10. There are not many games out right now that utilize DX12 yet -but that will change.

Vulkan - another graphics API- will be supported on older versions of Windows (7/8/8.1) and 10. This API is awesome. But, like DX12, it is new, and game developers do not have to write their code to use it at all.

So, to be safe, and able to utilize DX12 - I would recommend Windows 10. Besides some annoying privacy things (most of which can be turned off -either in Windows or using some tweaking software), 10 is the best iteration of Windows yet. It is quick, responsive and snappy, and utilizes resources (RAM ect.) more efficiently.